Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By Mestizo11 Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:24 pm
Hi guys,
I just recently bought my first mpc 2000xl that was sold for parts or needed repair. I figured I’d see if I could fix it up because it looks like it’s in very good condition. When I turn on the machine all the led lights turn on and the screen displays the name of the machine, mpc2000xl, and stays on that screen without advancing to the operating system. I was told that the Zip drive was not connected so I took a look at that and it seems the Data cable is connected but the power cable was missing. I bought the power/ Data floppy wire cables from I love my mpc and a floppy disc with the operating system OS v1.20 and I’m just waiting for them to arrive in the mail but I’m not sure if that will fix the problem. Anybody have any ideas on what I should do to get this machine running again? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
By richie Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:17 am
A disconnected zip drive would not be the cause of that issue.

The reason why you see "MPC 2000XL" and nothing else is due to the on board flash memory, which contains the operating system is corrupted.

The only way to fix that is by using a recovery ROM chip: https://www.ebay.com/itm/283902841476

You can keep the ROM chip installed in your mainboard after the fact, as it'll serve as a backup in case the on board flash ever is corrupted again.

Now, If the screen said "Insert MPC 2000XL Disk!" then yeah, the floppy drive with the 1.20 would let the XL re-flash the operating system to the on board flash.
By Mestizo11 Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:12 pm
richie wrote:A disconnected zip drive would not be the cause of that issue.

The reason why you see "MPC 2000XL" and nothing else is due to the on board flash memory, which contains the operating system is corrupted.

The only way to fix that is by using a recovery ROM chip: https://www.ebay.com/itm/283902841476

You can keep the ROM chip installed in your mainboard after the fact, as it'll serve as a backup in case the on board flash ever is corrupted again.

Now, If the screen said "Insert MPC 2000XL Disk!" then yeah, the floppy drive with the 1.20 would let the XL re-flash the operating system to the on board flash.

Thanks for responding. Yes this was in fact the case. I just received the ROM chip in the mail today and got this MPC 2000xl working again! Now all I have to do is eventually install some sort of an internal drive. I'll probably install a floppy drive temporarily until I get something else like a SD card reader or CF card reader. Whichever one is better. Thanks for the tip, I didn't know I could keep the ROM chip installed, That's good to know.
By Mestizo11 Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:24 pm
Certified Beatz wrote:I omega zip drive external or internal card..my opinion stay away from zip drives lost over 500 beats in the 90's the disk fail and when u hear them click you need to offload them fast.

Damn, sorry to hear about all those beats getting lost. It's an Internal Zip 100 drive but I also have the external Iomega zip 100. Yeah I'll probably use a floppy drive until I get something better like an SD or CF card reader. The good thing is that I got the MPC 2kxl working again. The recovery ROM chip was the solution.