Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By Lampdog Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:42 am
Sounds like you are saving chops to program with samples.
2kxl moves all newly made programs to DRUM1. Oldest program will be DRUM4..

Each DRUM is 64 pads. Only 4 DRUMS can be active at the same time, 24 total can be in memory and you can swap from inactive to active.

Move DRUM2 back to DRUM1.
By jask0 prod Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:42 pm
Lampdog wrote:Sounds like you are saving chops to program with samples.
2kxl moves all newly made programs to DRUM1. Oldest program will be DRUM4..

Each DRUM is 64 pads. Only 4 DRUMS can be active at the same time, 24 total can be in memory and you can swap from inactive to active.

Move DRUM2 back to DRUM1.

yersterday ive try to sample 5 times , like i go on mainscreen go to the pgm i want the chops to be so pgm 2 for ex , sample then chop it then its dumped to pgm2 , goback to mainscreen select pgm3 , sample then chop then its dumped to pg3 and on and on , after that i go back to mainscreen select pgm1 then load my drums sound on it, go back to mainscreen select track 1 , record a drum pattern and after that i switch to track 2 and i can choose my samples that ive rec by only switching in pgm's and make a beat like that. does it sound okay to do it like this because i dont see why i would organize everthing else with the drum folder if i can make it work with every sound and sample on drum 1?? i seen it would be and issue if you got the 8 output when traking and you want to mix everysound seperatly on a mixer channel but thats not my case i only got the 2 stock outputs and track my beat track by track. isnt it simpler like i did or am i missing on something??
By Lampdog Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:03 pm
Honestly that lost me.

Maybe your diff tracks are tied to different programs. Whatever program you are on when you sample if you KEEP it then where are you placing them?

I can't remember off the top of my head, haven't touched 2kxl in a few months. I can troubleshoot and help when I get home if you need.
By jask0 prod Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:21 pm
Lampdog wrote:Honestly that lost me.

Maybe your diff tracks are tied to different programs. Whatever program you are on when you sample if you KEEP it then where are you placing them?

I can't remember off the top of my head, haven't touched 2kxl in a few months. I can troubleshoot and help when I get home if you need.

yeah its this, before sampling i go to mainscreen scroll and choose a number for pgm ex pgm1 then i go to sample chop it, do it and its dumped to the pgm ive previously choose. all pgm's are on drum 1 , when i want to rec a track ex track 1, next to track its written pgm so i just scroll it and select the pgm i want to be rec on track 1, only using drum folder 1 ! In my first question when ive first sampled it was already to pgm 1 and when i got to sample a second time i did not go to pgm and switch it to another number of pgm so it was overwriting it when click do it on slice sounds, i dont know if it make senses lol
Last edited by jask0 prod on Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Lampdog Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:28 pm
Slice to PGM will always go to DRUM1. You can choose any DRUM for any track.

Shift + Program, Choose DRUM 1, use jog wheel on PGM name at the top and choose any PGM you want associated to that DRUM.
By jask0 prod Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:20 am
Lampdog wrote:Slice to PGM will always go to DRUM1. You can choose any DRUM for any track.

Shift + Program, Choose DRUM 1, use jog wheel on PGM name at the top and choose any PGM you want associated to that DRUM.

So whats the point with having four DRUM folder if you can make it work by only dumping all your pgm on one DRUM folder and build tracks and sequence like that?
By Lampdog Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:10 am
I’ve never had a problem putting all drum samples in a PGM on DRUM1 only.
I’d put pianos PGM in DRUM2.
I’d put Strings PGM in DRUM3.
Maybe noises and fx PGM in DRUM4.

I’ve never had a problem slicing 16 chops, saving slices as a new PGM and moving that program to whatever DRUM I want.

You can move and arrange stuff however you like. IDK what else to tell you.
By jask0 prod Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:25 am
Lampdog wrote:I’ve never had a problem putting all drum samples in a PGM on DRUM1 only.
I’d put pianos PGM in DRUM2.
I’d put Strings PGM in DRUM3.
Maybe noises and fx PGM in DRUM4.

I’ve never had a problem slicing 16 chops, saving slices as a new PGM and moving that program to whatever DRUM I want.

You can move and arrange stuff however you like. IDK what else to tell you.

That was the answer i was looking for!! Im a noob to all this its been 2 week since i got the 2kxl and before i spent a year on fl so all this sequences, DRUM and pgm concept is weird to me to understand their purpose but you just made it clearer
By Lampdog Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:52 pm
GLAD you finally understood it a lil clearer cause I didn't have any explanations left.

A DRUM is a container for a PGM (64 pads. A,B,C,D banks).
Any PGM can be moved into any DRUM at any time.
You literally, physically have 64x4 pads (4 DRUMS) to play with!
DRUMS (PGM assigned to it remember) can be dialed up per track on main menu.

Trk 1 can be DRUM 1 (percussion sound pgm).
Trk 2 can be DRUM 2 (piano pgm)
Trk 3 can be DRUM 3 (string pgm)
Trk 4 can be DRUM 4 9fx & noises pgm)
Trk 5 can be DRUM 1 (percussion pgm again)
Trk 6 can be DRUM 1 (percussion pgm again)

....if you want.
By jask0 prod Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:26 pm
Lampdog wrote:GLAD you finally understood it a lil clearer cause I didn't have any explanations left.

A DRUM is a container for a PGM (64 pads. A,B,C,D banks).
Any PGM can be moved into any DRUM at any time.
You literally, physically have 64x4 pads (4 DRUMS) to play with!
DRUMS (PGM assigned to it remember) can be dialed up per track on main menu.

Trk 1 can be DRUM 1 (percussion sound pgm).
Trk 2 can be DRUM 2 (piano pgm)
Trk 3 can be DRUM 3 (string pgm)
Trk 4 can be DRUM 4 9fx & noises pgm)
Trk 5 can be DRUM 1 (percussion pgm again)
Trk 6 can be DRUM 1 (percussion pgm again)

....if you want.

and is there a way to change a pgm on a DRUM and rec it without changing the previous track you have recorded before with the previous pgm? As you said i should only use DRUM 1 for my sample and you can only assign one pgm to it so should i dump all my 3 other pgm of sample on DRUM 1 bank a b c d or change the pgm assign to DRUM 1 when i want to rec another track with another pgm of sample?? if its changing each time the pgm assign to drum 1 how you do this without replacing previous track rec with previous pgm for the new you just had changed, like can you lock it so its independant from the pgm you will use after?
By Lampdog Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:23 pm
and is there a way to change a pgm on a DRUM and rec it without changing the previous track you have recorded before with the previous pgm?

PGM to DRUM and DRUM to track, record something LEAVE IT THERE. If you change the instrument then that track changes also.

As you said i should only use DRUM 1
I said that's what I do. You can do whatever you like, lol. A small amount of organization goes a LONG LONG way and your gonna figure that out real quick and in a bad way if you start "dumpin" everywhere :lol:

so should i dump all my 3 other pgm of sample on DRUM 1 bank a b c d
This is impossible. Only 1 PGM can be associated with 1 DRUM. I'm guessing you are talking about samples being redirected all to one DRUM. Yes, you can do that, it's 'organizing". How to place samples in PGM's is in the manual I'm not going through all that.

or change the pgm assign to DRUM 1 when i want to rec another track with another pgm of sample??
Again, assign a PGM to a DRUM, if you record with that DRUM on a track leave it there. Don't change the PGM or DRUM if it's used in a recording. Quit thinking you gotta change PGM's because it's gonna cause you alot of heartache when you start making tracks and you change a PGM by accident. Your sequence will still be there and playing but with totally different sounds, go ahead and try it. You'll only learn if you do it, mess up and then have to fix it, you'll understand after a few times of that.

The 'lock' is you. Don't change the DRUM/PGM once you've used it. Your thinking your recording is permanent printed audio, it's not, it's flexible midi notes, playback will be exactly what you banged out on pad, but sounds can easily be changed, by accident or on purpose.

"You gone learn today" is prolly that last thing you wanna hear from me, lol.