Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By David Scott Sun May 23, 2021 8:32 pm
I am about to purchase an AKAI 2000Xl. A lot of people have told me to stick with the newer MPC's, because tracking out drums, samples, basslines, etc., created in the 2000XL, and tracking them out to a DAW (Ableton Live) is a nightmare. I really like the sound of the 2000XL and that is why I prefer it over the newer models. Can someone provide some thoughts, advice and input as to the level of difficulty of tracking our to Ableton Live from the 2000XL actually is or isn't. I am a novice, so I appreciate any input. Thank you kindly.

Blessings!

David Scott
By J.D. Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:24 pm
No replies hm…
It‘s actually not hard at all, it just takes time.
You just record every Track in Realtime.
You can use MIDI to sync the recorded tracks to the MPC or just add 4 clicks to the start of every track and align them in your DAW.
It‘s the classical way to work, I used to record 10 Tracks of my Sampler 15 years ago… Never had a problem with the workflow.
It‘s faster to just „bounce“ the tracks though…

But actually record single tracks is not that bad… even if you arranged a whole song in your MPC, it takes roughly 30 Minutes: 3 minutes times 8 Tracks is 24 minutes, plus some time for stuff…

That‘s the thing where you start to like 8 Outs on your MPC (and 8 ins on your Audiointerface).

You also can just mix your beat in your MPC and just record one Stereotrack.
By Lampdog Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:33 pm
+100 w/ J.D.

You can make any of the new mpc’s sound like 2kxl.

I have a 2kxlse2 (orange, 8out, efx), 4K (efx), X.

Have only touched 2kxl/4K to help others troubleshoot, haven’t made music with either of them since X’s purchase.