Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By J.D. Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:29 pm
Hi there,
I recently bought an MPC 2000xl.
Got for 600€, with 32MB RAM and 8 Out-Board.
Sadly, it only has a floppydrive and OS 1.12, so I need a Floppy Drive to upgrade it and put a Cardreader in it, but that will follow soon.
Until then, I‘ll slap my old SCSI-ZIP drive in it…

I got it, because I wanted exactly this iconic device… I already use the MPC Ren and a 500, so I‘m not new to MPCs.
Also a buddy of mine bought one, when they were new available in musicstores…

I actually have no real question, just wanted to let you folks know, that there is one lucky new 2kXL user…
By J.D. Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:30 am
It‘s sad, I hoped that more 2kXL-users would be here… Than again, it‘s really old device…

Anyway, maybe somebody is interested in my stories about it…

my MPC came with OS 1.12, so in order to be able to put a CF-Reader in it, I needed to upgrade the OS.
That‘s is easily done. Just download the OS from Akais website, it‘s still there.
Now what?
I have the file on my Desktop and just need to get it over to the MPC… WITH A FLOPPYDISK!

How the f do I get the file on a floppy???

Luckily, I work in the only place where you are garanteed to find a still in work Computer with a Floppydrive: A public school in germany.

So I was able to copy the file on a disk and upgrade the 2000xl to the newest OS.
The CF-Drive is in the mail (I hope)… I ordered it from E-Bay for 12€. Hopefully it works.
If not, I‘ll buy one from Conrad-Electronics, there they are still sold for 19€…

If all goes to playn, I can put it in tomorrow…
By David Scott Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:02 pm
Congratulations on purchasing the 2000XL. I am on the fence about whether to purchase one as well.
By J.D. Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:28 pm
Yeah, I thought long about it…
It was 2000xl vs 2500, but the xl won, because it‘s such an iconic device and it does what it does very well. Also it‘s not overwhelming full with features.
If I want to work fast and include plugins I use my renaissance and/or logic, but for some standalone MPC-Beatmaking the 2000xl is just a great machine.
I think it‘s totaly worth the 600€ I payed. I‘m really happy with it.
By J.D. Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:12 am
Now my MPC has a CF-Drive.
I gutted the old Floppydrive to mount the 12€ CF Reader, wich works fine.

Only some strange behavior, sometimes I can‘t go back a Folder and can‘t create new Folders, but I blame that on my CF-Card. Already orded some new ones, and will test with my old 128MB Card.

But that‘s some minor issue (I hope) and for the most part it works! 8)
By J.D. Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:09 am
Okay, Problem solved.
With a 2GB CF Card, there can only be one partition and there should be no files with more than 8 characters in the name.
Now it works perfekt.
Cool.
Together with the MOC2000xlApp I now can easily drop Samples on the MPC and don‘t habe to sample individual Drumsounds, nice.

I love the workflow on the 2000xl!
By Bombbeats4000 Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:18 pm
Gratuliere !!
It's a great device and it is indeed Iconic.
The crowd here is not really active and especially for newcomers the majority is not extremely helpfull.
I guess most are on the forum very long so they got tired of hearing the same questions.

Anyways, I'm also fairly new to the 2000XL game and i like it.
I went for a SCSI2SD interface as i prefer to use SD cards and it's hot swappable.
I also replaced the slider as this most often starts acting up on these old devices and mine was really bad.

You can enter the test menu:

- enter Trim mode (shift + sample Trim key)
- then Shift + F1
- Then select MEMCHK

You can now check the memory, the pads + slider and the rotary jog dial
On mine the value didn't go from 0 to 127 (all the way down to up) so it was messed up.
Also seen one that did go up but the value then dropped down eventhough the slider was not moving.
Common problem on these old machines.