Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By famekeyz Thu Mar 27, 2003 1:34 am
Q)Why do my MPC formatted floppies load in Windows XP, but my MPC formatted zip disks do not?
A)This seems to be a problem with the way zip drives interact with XP - I have two computers, both running XP, one reads MPC formatted zip disks perfectly, the other only reads PC formatted zip disks. I have no idea why! Windows 98 works fine with MPC formatted disks - unfortunately, Windows 98 is a piece of junk (in my opinion!). Not sure where we stand with Windows 2000 or NT

I just wanted to know has anybody come up with a way to get mpc formated zip disk to work with windows xp cause i just went out and got a 100 mb usb power zip drive and when i try to open it up on my computer the computer tells me to enter a disk as if my zip disk is not in it....holla
By dj_evs Thu Mar 27, 2003 6:56 am
This might help. Format your zip disc on your computer instead of on the MPC. My discs read fine when I load them on my computers zip and running XP.
>Also download Iomega sync. I'm almost certain this program my friend uses to move his zip disc from MPC to PC http://www.iomega.com/software/sync.html

-Hope this helped

By famekeyz Fri Mar 28, 2003 12:08 am
hey man thanks for the download but i had a problem when i went to use the program cause it told me that i had to format the disk for the program before i wanted to copy it....i dont know what that was meaning but i didnt want to try it out and have it erase my disk. so i just did not do anything.....im really stuck hear cause right now i need a way to get whats on my zip disk(sounds, seq,ect) on my computer or the other way around.

By famekeyz Fri Mar 28, 2003 2:31 am
well i went over to my father house cause his computer has windows ME and i install the usb zip drive on his computer and try to do the samething and it works and i could see what was on my mpc formated disk...so as of right now the only way i think i could get around the windows xp is to got to my father house and open one or all my mpc format disk and copy it to a cdr or cdrw (plus save a copy on his harddrive just in case) got back to my computer with the cdr or cdrw and just reformat my copy mpc disk on my computer and take what i burn on to a cdr/cdrw and reput it on to my mpc zip disk and then put it in my mpc and see will the mpc read my computer formated disk. If so for now i got a way to get around it but i would love to just have my mpc format zip disk to just work on my compute with out all the runn around. hope someone got a way around this.

By Aurelius Fri Mar 28, 2003 7:41 am
How did you configure your pc? Was it setup for FAT or NTFS? If it was NTFS then your going to have issue's...

By famekeyz Fri Mar 28, 2003 7:34 pm
man you lost me.....i dont know what you are talking about there all i did was buy the computer and went home with it and turn it on....i got everything working on my computer good right now from pro tools to even my lil smart media card reader works fine.

By MPC-Tutor Fri Mar 28, 2003 8:44 pm
Actually, you may have a point there - I have XP on my spare computer and it reads MPC formatted zip disks fine. It's formatted to FAT32. My main comp is NTFS and it wont read MPC disks - I'll investigate this further...

By ieism Fri Mar 28, 2003 9:29 pm
I can back that up.
I used to have XP on a ntfs formatted disk, but after reinstalling it on a Fat 32 partition the same disks that gave me trouble before are now working.

@famekeys: I don't think it's worth it to reinstall your whole pc just to overcome this problem. I would just forget about formatting on the MPC for now.

By MPC-Tutor Fri Mar 28, 2003 9:37 pm
If you have partition magic, you can reconvert back to FAT32 (make sure you ghost your set up though - I dont think it's the most reliable process in the world). I hear microsoft are dumping NTFS soon - new OS is coming out in a year or so with some new 'fluid' file system :roll:
By famekeyz Fri Mar 28, 2003 11:01 pm
ok guys i found out a way to get around it or i found a way for me to get around it. well let break down my problem first.....1)i only have about 4 zip disk one i got from the store 3 i got from internet sound stores(bangin beats, mpcsounds) i would guest there all formated for the mpc and the one i got from the store myself was a blank that i formated on the mpc. well now i would like to load my mpc sounds on to my computer so i can use the sound editor programs i have on it(cool edito pro, pro tools ect) well i just got a iomega zip usb zip drive and install it onto my computer running Win xp...well when i go to pop my zip disk in and try to open it my computer acts like its not in the zip disk and tells me to INSERT DISK....so i went to my father house with my zip drive and my zip disk and reinstal it onto his computer running windows Me. well when i went to open up my zip disk it showed up fine so this is what i came up with!

2) i copy my zip disk to my fathers computer and then to a cdr!
I then took my zip disk and cdr back to my house wher my computer is at running XP and load my mpc formated zip and reformated the disk on my computer(BYE BYE to all my sounds on the disk) but since i had it copy onto my cdr i never lost it. all i go to do now was copy the sounds that i saved on to the cdr back on to my zip disk and pop it into my mpc and see will the mpc read a disk that has been formated from a computer....well i did that and it works just fine so this is what i came up with.

you could buy a new blank zip disk or (just do the cdr thing with one of your old zip disk) and format that disk on your computer running Xp! Take your zip drive(hopefully it will be a portable one) to another computer thats not running XP(for me it was ME) and instal the zip drive on the other computer and just transfer all your info from your other zip disk to the zip disk you formated running xp. now you can go back to the computer thats running xp and it will show up fine. if you have alot of info just copy it to a cdrw/cdr or DVDR and retransfer it zip(s) that was formated on the xp computer from then on you should be ok........i hope this all came out good but this will help those who would be for ever stuck. but the mpc will read xp format zip disk.. Thanks to all but thanks to dj_evs for the program but i found out i didnt need to use it cause it work with out.
By dj_evs Sat Mar 29, 2003 5:49 am
I don't know if I saw this link posted on here, or another site, but it's a site for people with XP and record music. I haven't really checked out the site that much, but it sounds like it might answer a lot of questions....
http://www.musicxp.net/

By Aurelius Mon Mar 31, 2003 8:42 am
Just on the back of Dj_evs' info & link I thought I'd add some more info as this was a BIG issue for me when using XP.
The reason for the compatibility issues are due to how your computer was configured when XP was installed. Windows 95 & 98's operating system is FAT based (File Allocation Table) and XP's is NTFS (New Technology File System). I'm not going to get into the fundamentals of the two because that 'aint about music and I could end up writing for near on a week BUT what I will say is that if you look at it from laymen terms, Windows 95 & 98 do not offer you the "lower level" properties of XP (and indeed NT4 - hence why nearly all pc based firms use NT/XP). Now that's out the way....
If you did not configure your pc, then I'll bet my MPC (maybe not!) it was setup for ACPI mode and not standard. Windows had and still does, a problem of messing with IRQ settings or deciding to rename your device settings. Ever installed an new piece of hardware that conflicts with something else? That's what I'm rapping about. Standard mode takes the "thinking" away from the pc and gives you a little more control.
That's why XP will read some zip disks and not others. Apologies for going all "technological" on you all but this problem is sometimes not as easy as "unable to read disk". In order for you to get to that point, you need to understand what caused the problem in the first place.

One.