Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By Flouncer Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:12 pm
Hi, first post here. I have just bought a 2000XL from someone who didn't know anything about it. I can see from the back panel that it has the 8 outs board installed, but I don't know how much RAM it has or if it has the effects board installed. Is there a way to figure this out without opening the machine up?

Also I was wondering about card readers and stuff. It has the original floppy drive installed, which I'd like to replace with something more convenient. On eBay there are lots of sellers offering different replacements, and from what I understand aftermarket parts for these can be hit and miss. Is there a particular one that is known to be reliable?
By mr_debauch Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:38 pm
ok... so for the fx card... (with the machine turned on) go to the mixer screen (shift+one of the numbers) and then click the fx tab F-key... if you see a picture of a mountain with a bird flying then you DON't have the card... otherwise you will see the fx like EQ/DIST/REV/DEL/MIX etc...

for the ram, click the shift+number for the disk screen and go to the load tab by pushing the appropriate F-key .. it will show on the top right how much ram (or sample time) is available. the stock amount is 2 mb, the max is 32mb. you can see by how many seconds are available...

yes card readers are nice. you should go for a CF card reader. There are plenty known to be reliable, check the 2000xl section of the forum... there is a huge thread with known working and known not working models. hundreds have been documented.
By Flouncer Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:38 pm
Hey man, thanks, that's really helpful. I've found out that it unfortunately doesn't have the effects, but it has the max RAM. I'm not sure how much I'd use the effects anyway, to be honest - the main things I wanted were the 8 outs and the RAM so I'm happy! I'll check out the CF card thread.