Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By DaroneDiamonds Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:01 am
I'm trying to decide between an SCSI SD drive for my MPC2000XL or an original floppy drive. I need help to know which is more reliable. I hear that I should stick with the original floppy because it is easier to save and organize your songs besides the downside of having to buy floppies all the time. Help me, thanks yo. Word up.
By NearTao Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:41 pm
I think anybody that has done projects that go over the size of a floppy, or have backed up there content are going to say that the SCSI2SD or similar is absolutely worth it...

That said, if you're fitting your entire project onto one floppy, then have fun. Floppies are getting harder to find though, and the drives are mechanical so more prone to eventual failure.
By richie Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:52 pm
DaroneDiamonds wrote:I'm trying to decide between an SCSI SD drive for my MPC2000XL or an original floppy drive. I need help to know which is more reliable. I hear that I should stick with the original floppy because it is easier to save and organize your songs besides the downside of having to buy floppies all the time. Help me, thanks yo. Word up.

Peace Darone,

Ask yourself a couple of things - Is it more "reliable" to use brand new memory cards that have just been manufactured or floppy disks that have not been manufactured for 20+ years now? If you're concerned about data retention then using any card reader will be a win over a floppy disk just for the fact you can plug it in to your computer, backup all your work and keep it moving.

I don't get what you mean about easier to manage files between a floppy and a card though. I mean really, if you wanted to save a beat on the XL and used up all 32 megs of ram, you'd need close to 30 different floppy disks to save a single beat.

Using floppy disks aren't worth the hassle when better options are out there.