Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By SpectacularCommodity1776 Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:28 pm
do mfs really think that if they're timstretching a vocal sample it'll sound cleaner if they use 'male vox a' instead of 'lfreq rhythm c'? pretty funny. honestly one of the best ways to tell if someone is an amateur or not is to watch what they do when they open up the timestretching window. if you see them comb through the different presets instead of just immediately and without hesitation choosing 'fem vox a' there's a 99% chance that they have no idea what they're doing.
By SpectacularCommodity1776 Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:59 pm
loose_t wrote:I kinda remember there being a difference lol. Especially with drum or percussion loops. I must be an amateur

the human brain is a fascinating thing. studies show that if you show two identical pictures to a person but insist that they are different the person will start to believe it and will even come up with nonexistent differences in their head. sort of like the placebo effect.
By NearTao Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:03 pm
Have you tried any scientific experiments to show that they are indeed the same, or just speculating?

Should be a pretty simple proof, Record a sample, then effect with A, take the same sample, then effect with B. Phase reverse one of the samples, play version A and version B together, and you should get silence if they are exactly the same. Otherwise you'll be hearing whatever the difference is.

Anyway... probably not necessary to sling mud at people who may believe that there is a different in time stertch modes on the 2K/2KXL. I don't have one so cannot run this experiment to prove one way or the other, but I imagine somebody could run the test.
By SpectacularCommodity1776 Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:13 pm
NearTao wrote:Have you tried any scientific experiments to show that they are indeed the same, or just speculating?

Should be a pretty simple proof, Record a sample, then effect with A, take the same sample, then effect with B. Phase reverse one of the samples, play version A and version B together, and you should get silence if they are exactly the same. Otherwise you'll be hearing whatever the difference is.

I never denied that there are possibly imperceptible differences between the presets that are only made apparent through experiments such as what you're suggesting. who knows and more importantly who cares? this reminds me of FLAC users a lot who insist that FLAC sounds better than high bitrate mp3 because technically it has better quality. so what? the difference is imperceptible. no one actually hears any difference, they're just convinced they do. if I played you a 18000 and a 18001 HZ sinewave side by side it'd still be BS if you told me you heard a difference even though they technically are different.
By mkdos Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:51 am
SpectacularCommodity1776 wrote:
NearTao wrote:Have you tried any scientific experiments to show that they are indeed the same, or just speculating?

I never denied that there are possibly imperceptible differences between the presets that are only made apparent through experiments such as what you're suggesting. who knows and more importantly who cares? this reminds me of FLAC users a lot who insist that FLAC sounds better than high bitrate mp3 because technically it has better quality. so what? the difference is imperceptible. no one actually hears any difference, they're just convinced they do. if I played you a 18000 and a 18001 HZ sinewave side by side it'd still be BS if you told me you heard a difference even though they technically are different.

Perceptible vs quantitative difference is the issue. As MP3 is a psyhoacoustic lossy format, it tries to fool you into thinking there is no perceptible difference, leading many to believe there is no quantitative difference. I'd imagine the timestretch algorithms are all slightly different: Perhaps generally no perceptible difference but a real quantitative difference.
By richie Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:41 am
I'm so glad that SpectacularCommodity1776 has made this post.

I must be a retard to hear that different time stretch algorithms produce different results.

Thanks for putting this to rest for me.