Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By Scrawny Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:53 am
The right line input has been fading for a while and it stopped working completely a few days ago. I booted up the MPC yesterday and both inputs worked for a few min, sampled through it and everything, but then it died off again.
I've been getting by alright by just inverting the cables to rec the right side of the sample but I'm curious what it would take to get it fixed. Does something need to be replaced, reseated, cleaned, or what? Where could I take it to get it fixed? Hifi store or maybe a music store, or try to figure out how to fix it myself but I have no experience soldering or with any electronics.

Thanks. :worthy:
By NearTao Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:20 pm
Likely either a solder failure, and the jack just needs to be resoldered, or you might have had a cap that failed... but I'd say that's unlikely if it works sometimes and not others.
By peterpiper Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:39 am
Any change when you 'wiggle' on the plug? hahaha sorry, that sounds kind of naughty but I'm serious (kind of) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm drunk :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

peace
By Scrawny Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:01 pm
Wiggling the input cable or the input doesn't do anything. Plugging and unplugging the cable gives a bit of noise I guess but it looks like it's much quieter than on the other input.
By Scrawny Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:05 pm
NearTao wrote:Likely either a solder failure, and the jack just needs to be resoldered, or you might have had a cap that failed... but I'd say that's unlikely if it works sometimes and not others.

Do you think this is something that I should try to do myself? Or where can I take it to get it fixed? A hifi shop can take care of something like that right? I'm assuming it's the same as if a line input for a tape deck or a CD player or something needed to be resoldered.
By NearTao Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:52 pm
Depends on how handy you are with a soldering iron. if not much, I'd suggest practicing someplace else first. But yeah, any electronics repair shop worth their salt should at least be able to take a look at tell you if they can fix the problem or not. Honestly re-soldering joints isn't that hard (if that is the issue)... and desoldering a capacitor or resistor or whatever could have blown isn't too hard. What you need for measuring voltage isn't too hard to get either... but it can be easy to discharge a capacitor or fry other electronics if you're not really sure what you are doing.