Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By rentmyr Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:05 pm
hi guys so im a newbie on mpc world but i've been making beats now for 4 years. im planning to buy the mpc 2000xl but i dont know if i can save the beat as a stem. if i finish sampling, can i save the beat (drums,bass,samples) individually in my zip drive? so i can mix it track by track in my pc?
By richie Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:31 am
Nope
By The Jackal Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:14 am
You're gonna have to sample/record into something else and then sample back into the MPC. I do it sometimes because I have 8 outputs, so it makes sense to give each stem their own output going into their own input on my mixer, but keep in mind: the longer the stem, the longer it's going to take to load into the MPC (especially if you have a whole project that's been bounced down to stems) and because the screen is so limited, it's kind of a pain in the ass editing or trimming your stems if you have to. You're also going to eat up memory loading long phrases if you're using it as a playback machine for multiple projects (and by projects, I don't mean in the MPC sense of the term, but like multiple songs & parts by triggering them with the pads). If you've got a CF card reader, you can just play the MPC out into recording software on your computer, stemify those bitches in the software, then convert & import them back onto your CF card instead of sampling back into the machine. I have another rackmount hardware sampler with multiple outputs that's much better for recording and playing back lengthy audio while I mostly use the MPC as a sequencer & drum machine. I say that because you're probably thinking of "playing" the machine like a lot of new gear & software allows you to do; you'd probably be better off recording whole chunks of a song (intro/verse/chorus) and triggering those chunks instead of all the individual stems. In the end it only matters how it all sounds and if the goal is live performance, doesn't really matter what you're triggering with someone seeing you pushing buttons because they're not going to know what you're triggering in the end anyway.