Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By The Jackal Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:45 pm
Why aren't the notes/pads chromatic? Not understanding why they wouldn't do this to begin with...like does the funny mapping make chords easier to play with how the pads are set up or something? Never really understood the layout and from what I understand, all models of MPC are set up like this. What was their reasoning? I think the MIDI notes used correspond to general MIDI percussion standards, but still doesn't explain why pads aren't mapped out chromatically.

I use mine to sequence external gear and don't want to always have to turn on my MIDI keyboard controller just to enter some specific notes easily. Oh well, once I move some projects off the MPC, I'm making up templates with notes remapped, tracks & MIDI assigned, sequences named & set up, etc. and starting every future project from there; it's less annoying I have to reassign notes & create a template and more annoying that how they assigned them seems completely arbitrary. I dunno, maybe people who actually play their MPC like an instrument or finger drum or whatever can chime in.