Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By GeoffShoulders Sat Mar 29, 2003 10:58 am
Morning all,

I have a question about dumping Sysex into my MPC.

I bought a Novation KS5 and have to send it back as 2 of the knobs don't adjust the values all the way so its gotta be repaired. I want to back up my patches though so I've done this:

1. Set the K to dump as per its manual.

2. Turn on the MPC and start it recording on a new Seq.

3. Send the data from the KS.

The time display on the MPC stopped whilst the data was being sent and I now have a .Mid & .All file of over 280K so I know there's data there.

Is there anyway of checking that what I have done is right without restoring the factory presets in the KS and reloading the Dump I just made from the MPC?

Does what I've done sound OK? Does anyone else use their MPC to save Midi Patches & Sysex?

Thanks in advance for any responses,

G. Shoulders
By Boogie Man Sat Mar 29, 2003 6:47 pm
I cant wait to get a KS4. Since I bought the monotimbral K station, I've been dieing for a multitimbral model. How much did you pay for it?
By GeoffShoulders Sat Mar 29, 2003 11:36 pm
Paid £649 for the KS5 @ Digital Village, UK. They were doing the KS4 for the same price so I though I might as well get the extra octave as it my only keyboard at the moment.
:D
By goltooth Mon Mar 31, 2003 6:50 pm
Boogie man thank you for the answer Geoff has been reading, I also own a k Station and monotimbral is a limitation. I got a nord rack 2 a month ago at Sam ash for $ 600 ( half price ) it is 4 part multitimbral . Before you buy another Novation ( which I really like) check Clavia with your ears, I am not talking about the style you are into but the sound to me it is another level. Let me know.
By Gambles Mon Mar 31, 2003 7:24 pm
Boogie or Geoff,

I have never heard of this feature. Can one of you guys help me understand what this feature does & why it is important?

Uno/1

Gams :roll:
By GeoffShoulders Mon Mar 31, 2003 8:34 pm
Gambles,

The feature allows you back up Patch data from a synth/module to the MPC and save it, freeing up User locations on your synth/module.

The only reason I'm currently backing stuff up is because I have to send my KS5 back to get repaired so I wanted to back up sounds I made. I can imagine running out of space eventually though so could use Sysex Dump for when that happens too.

Hope that helps.

Geoff

Goltooth - I was looking at the Nord 2 as well but went for the KS5 as it has effects and I can't splash out on outboard stuff too. Maybe a Nord 2 rack would be nice to go with it though......... :D
By Gambles Mon Mar 31, 2003 9:09 pm
So, it basically just dumps a sound program/patch from an external midi keyboard/module into the MPC? After the Sysex dump is completed; the sounds are stored on the MPC?
You should be able to disconnected the midi device from the MPC and play the sounds on the pads.

Just let me know if I'm wrong but this is my perception.

Tx

Uno/1

gams
By GeoffShoulders Tue Apr 01, 2003 2:05 pm
Gambles,

The Dump does not transfer the sounds to the MPC, only the internal setting data of the synth/module so you can load them back into your synth at a later stage.

The only way to play the samples inside the MPC would be to sample them thru the Audio ins like a normal sample (or import them as wav's).

Geoff
By Gambles Tue Apr 01, 2003 2:15 pm
Ok, I think I got it this time. It saves the personal settings (Edits, fx, ect..) for sound patches on that particular module/keyboard.

Uno/1

gams
By GeoffShoulders Wed Apr 02, 2003 1:06 pm
Thats the one. Can imagine it would be more useful for older synths with limited user patch spaces in the synth/module itself.

O/T, do you check out much of the Winter Music Conference when its on?

WMC

By Gambles Wed Apr 02, 2003 1:13 pm
I was trying to attend this year but got caught up with some personal issues. I definitely will go next year.

Uno/1 :lol:

gams

Byjg Fri Apr 04, 2003 1:20 am
IMHO, Novation's gear is poorly made. I've owned a Bass Station KB and Super Bass Station rack, both of which were incredibly flimsy with cheap misaligned trim pots... At least they sounded nice. I sold the rack unit and when keyboard stopped working, I ripped it out and created the 'ass station' with a black marker and some metal shears. Novation's other keyboards and modules (the Supernova and its descendents) stink of the half-assed analogue modelling techno/trance sound.

If you want an analogue modelling synth gets away with actually sounding analogue, Clavia's Nord series sound great, and you could probably find a Roland JP8k for fairly cheap (I paid around $900 for a new floor model at Guitar Center in the states a few years ago). Access also makes some really cool stuff, but their prices are absurd.

my $0.02

Totally unrelated:

I picked up an Akai Z8 last week and I'm in sampler heaven. The synthesis engine is incredible (so many modulation options!!) and I'm impressed with the onboard FX. The UI is based on the MPC2000XL design, which is great... In typical Akai fashion, the manual is a piece of crap. I've since decommissioned my XL as a sampler and I've been using it to sequence the Z8 (which loads MPC PGMs natively). Once I've spent enough time sampling my synths, I suspect I'll be able to pull the MIDI cables and use the sampler exclusively in my sequences and reserve the keyboards for live performance. If you've got money to burn and you're sick of 32 megs of sample memory, I highly recommend this beast. AK.sys makes the Z8 that much easier to use, though it's caused my XP pro box to bluescreen at random. If I can figure out how to consistantly reproduce the problem, I plan to send a bug report to Akai.

peace
-j