Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By David Scott Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:21 pm
Can anyone tell me what a 2000XL in excellent condition can be listed for? It has been refurbished and all work was professionally done by MPC Stuff. I just wanted to hear some of your opinions before listing it. I can provide pics if requested? Thank you.
By Smokeychuck Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:55 pm
It’s worth whatever anyone is willing to pay for it…

Think about it like this… the only value added when you have MPC stuff repair your machine is in the parts and fixes. The labor doesn’t add any value to the machine.

So if you parted everything out and sold it USED (since it has already been installed in your machine and isn’t brand new in packaging), how much would you make? Also your shipping costs for the repair don’t add anything to the value. Ultimately having something repaired by MPC stuff if your goal is to resell it is not a wise move because of the labor costs. Better to just get the parts and do it yourself, or send off the chassis top to be painted.

EFX Card: $300 (ebay / reverb prices)
8 Outs: $250-300 (reverb prices)
Screen: $150-160 ( since it’s about 180 new)
Storage device (subtract 20% from whatever you paid for it)
Main Unit without EFX / 8 outs in pristine condition with no scratches, dents etc and all original OEM buttons with original floppy drive… I’d say about $400-600.

I bought mine recently in not so great condition with lines in the screen, rusted screws, a dead pad for $285. I think that was an okay deal and my plan was to fix it up for myself anyway. I do not plan on replacing the floppy drive, maybe I will use a SCSI2SD later on. In my opinion if you want to retain the value of it you need to keep the original floppy drive. Some people may be buying an MPC2000xl because they have a ton of floppies with 20000xl programs on it. Even if you replace the floppy drive, it should follow the chain of ownership in case somebody wants to reinstall it.

So yeah, it’s not super profitable to have an MPC fixed up by MPC stuff and resold. Most good condition MPC 2000xls with the 8 outs and EFX card are listed at about $1000-1200. And I’m talking the SE versions.

The units themselves are desirable but they were seriously mass produced and are not uncommon or rare.
By David Scott Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:02 pm
Thank you so much. I appreciate your comments and you make so much sense. I can't tell you how grateful I am to you for taking time and providing me with this feedback. I am a newbie and I am sure I have made some mistakes, but knowledge is power. Blessings!