Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By HellsWindStaff Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:15 pm
I was watching this live set from Palmbomen
where it seems like he uses his MPC1000 to trigger different sequences from his TR707, EX800, Xoxbox, etc.

It looks like he has a different sequence assigned to every pad. I was wondering if this is possible on the MPC2000xl? And if so would it be possible to export a midi sequence (say from a drum track I made in Reason) into the MPC?

I've searched the internet for an answer but haven't found a clear answer. It does seem like it wouldn't be possible to assign a different sequence to every pad, but I'm not sure if I understood it right.
By NearTao Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:51 am
Watched the video and have to agree, I believe he's using track mutes so that he can control when he does and does not send midi data for a given track. He's also riding his mixer quite a bit to adjust volumes. Combing track mutes and mixer mutes/fades, he's able to create quite a few changes to the sound of his performance without having to be jumping around all over his kit constantly.

This looks like something that's a bit of work to setup and tear down given the decent amount of gear... sounds give me a strong 80's vibe, but a few minutes in I'm not hearing anything that comes across as terribly complicated.

Never used a 2kxl myself, but I bet you can do a fair amount of what he's doing here with the MPC 1k.
By HellsWindStaff Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:38 pm
I think I understand how it works.
Now I'm trying to figure out how to make midi sequences but the mpc does weird things. I used a midi (2x) to usb cable and plugged one of the two midi sides into the mpc's midi in and another to the out. I managed to record some midi signals and send them back out to my DAW. But it's tricky to make different sequences that way. Don't know what went wrong but my program started to act weird and nothing worked anymore. Also during recording the mpc automatically added bars (I set them to 2 with looping 'off') but it never stopped and just continued to add bars.

Anyway, this was with one midi to usb cable, gonna try something with two later. I think it will be a matter of experimenting a bit until it works.