Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By DrumGunn Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:08 am
Basically i want to achieve the exact thing on my MPC 2000 classic, as they do in this video:

Is it possible? I hooked everything up midi in and out. And audio in, just like my daw.

I imagine something like zaytovens old basement setup:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPWdWkubgTY

Yall might say its outdated but idc it just looks so much fun to able to do that. I basically have that setup but without the MPC, i got a a akai Keyboard into my daw with pads. But i want to try to do it on the MPC.

So can someone explain what im missing in the video, why can they record melodies out the KORG like that over the drumloop, and i cant hear my MOTIF, only when i go to sample mode i can hear it coming through...

Thanks in advance.
By Lampdog Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:51 am
MPC 2KXL/2K sample in is ONLY active in SAMPLE MODE.

All gear audio output needs to routed to a mixer/multiple input audio interface in order to hear it.

When gear is properly midi’d to mpc then you can press play on mpc and all gear will play together in async.
By DrumGunn Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:17 pm
Lampdog wrote:MPC 2KXL/2K sample in is ONLY active in SAMPLE MODE.

All gear audio output needs to routed to a mixer/multiple input audio interface in order to hear it.

When gear is properly midi’d to mpc then you can press play on mpc and all gear will play together in async.

I understand, but whats strange to me is in the first video they seem to only have 1 midi cable going from the KORG Triton into the MPC. So how does the Triton know how long the loop is, and how is it getting midi sent back to keep playing the piano loop if its only 1 midi cable.

Seems really simple, or am i missing something? Do they have a mixer also?
By Lampdog Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:51 pm
You don’t HAVE to use 2 midi cables.
If using as a sound, just triggering), you can use 1.
I use to use a Triton Extreme as a sound module slaved to
2kxl and I understand it.

When I wanted to also hit keys on Triton
and/or
use triton keys to trigger samples on mpc then I needed the 2nd midi cable.

Problem with alot of videos is many mofo’s just show off and don’t explain jack.
Maybe they assume everyone already knows their way around midi perfectly, idk, phuck them videos.

So now, years later, Kronos2 and mpc x, I still do the same things but via usb.
Same concept, diff and LESS cables.
By DrumGunn Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:23 pm
Lampdog wrote:You don’t HAVE to use 2 midi cables.
If using as a sound, just triggering), you can use 1.
I use to use a Triton Extreme as a sound module slaved to
2kxl and I understand it.

When I wanted to also hit keys on Triton
and/or
use triton keys to trigger samples on mpc then I needed the 2nd midi cable.

Problem with alot of videos is many mofo’s just show off and don’t explain jack.
Maybe they assume everyone already knows their way around midi perfectly, idk, phuck them videos.

So now, years later, Kronos2 and mpc x, I still do the same things but via usb.
Same concept, diff and LESS cables.

Thanks bro i got it working, on my 2 channel sound card tho so i will have to upgrade to a mixer board. RN i got 1 channel for the mpc and 1 for the Motif and i think its in mono, because im using out for the headphones on both modules 8) . This setup is fireee, going to sample some hard trap drums into the MPC and cook all night.

Its crazy all i needed was like 2 sentences from you to understand what needed to be done, yet i spent hours yesterday searching for some help. The producer community sucks in that way, that everyone wants to hide the sauce. Ill never be like that tho.

Trynna get the kronos 2 one day too, rn im just learning with what i got, shit done wonder for me but def looking to upgrade in the future. Appreciate you bro fr.
By Lampdog Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:39 am
Not a problem at all. Happy you got something going.

I had a 2kxl (and sometimes mpc 4k) and Triton extreme combo for over a decade. Someone, I forgot who, on the forum told me to go ahead and make the jump to Kronos2.
I did, AND NEVER LOOKED BACK! Nautilus is the newest Korg kybd, it’s a Kronos2 jr imo. STILL powerful, a much snazzier user interface and less buttons on the board overall.

Kronos2 is discontinued so good luck finding a new unit.

Also, a usb to midi adapter can bring your mpc 2kxl to the usb midi world EASILY!

I have a usb3.0 powered hub, that hub is connected to mpc x. Several other gear is usb connected to that hub and mpc x can rcv/send midi to ALL hub connected gear,

By Lampdog Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:47 am
Aiight, lemme try again.

There are no audio cables coming out of the triton.
That means the Triton is being used as a regular ole kydb midi controller to trigger sounds.

The Triton is controlling sounds on the module under the mpc. The midi chain allows Triton to control mpc sounds and/or module sounds..

The module has an audio out connected.

Mpc is recording Triton “performance” (midi data).

I’ve done the exact same thing he’s doing in the video many times before.
Triton is trigger other gear, it’s not using it’s own audio out, it’s just being used as a midi controller.

You can do all this with usb adapters also.
By DrumGunn Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:08 am
Lampdog wrote:Aiight, lemme try again.

There are no audio cables coming out of the triton.
That means the Triton is being used as a regular ole kydb midi controller to trigger sounds.

The Triton is controlling sounds on the module under the mpc. The midi chain allows Triton to control mpc sounds and/or module sounds..

The module has an audio out connected.

Mpc is recording Triton “performance” (midi data).

I’ve done the exact same thing he’s doing in the video many times before.
Triton is trigger other gear, it’s not using it’s own audio out, it’s just being used as a midi controller.

You can do all this with usb adapters also.

I understand what you are saying. But why would you want to controll the MPC sounds with TRITON? (I only use the MPC program the drums with the pads, i play the melodies on the keyboard and the midi gets saved into MPC).

I work with a 2 channel soundcard, so thats 1 mono track for MPC and 1 mono track for MOTIF. So when i make my beats its all in mono.

But when i record it into my DAW, i 1st record my MPC drums in mono, then unplug the MPC audio cable and plug it into my MOTIF and record all the melodies stereo.

Real minimalist setup, i don't really have enough space for more stuff. IDK if its the most efficient, shit takes time to track out the audio tracks 1 by 1. Also its a little tedious to sync every audio track up in my DAW again.

Any tips?