Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By EB2023 Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:46 pm
Hello! I currently have a MICROTECH PCD-47B SCSI CARD READER in my 2000xl. Has been solid for years, however, the machine will intermittently not read the drive. One individual I chatted with noted that these drives have had issues with overheating after 15 or so min. Wondering if anyone has experienced this, and if so, if there is any way to save this drive or resolve the issue. Thanks!
By Telefunky Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:27 pm
I have that reader in an EMU ESI.
Never noticed heat when the reader was on the table for setup or check.
Ages ago these devices were the core of early Kodak digital print/copy stores, so some durability may be expected.

With the ESI it was quite annoying: it occasionally wiped CF cards. You start the sampler with the CF inserted... and it displays: nothing connected. :Sigh:
(but I cannot tell if it was simply the media or some flaw of the EMU OS)
When it worked, it was nice. Couldnā€˜t handle fast media, though. Transmission was always identical, regardless of speed label on the CF, at least on the ESI.
By richie Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:33 am
I've never had that happen with mine and this is the first I've heard of issues with overheating.

Thankfully in 2023 there are much better and cheaper modern alternatives that you can replace your Microtech with for $50-80 now: ZuluSCSI, SCSI2SD, BlueSCSI, Do it.