Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By JillSandwhich Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:42 pm
Been getting odd clicks and pops from bass notes i record into the mpc 2000 with my arturia minibrute 2. The notes sound really unnatural and just not smooth at all even after adjusting the decay and the attack to get rid of a clicking noise that happens when i make the start point right up next to where the sound starts. I've also tried using note off but it just doesn't sound good although I've made an 808 with the same synth that sounded damn good when I sampled it into my 2000. Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem with any legacy mpc really when sampling bass notes from any analog synth.
By Lampdog Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:06 pm
Pops and Clicks on cycle'd loops come from sudden drops/increase in volume. If you hit zero crossings on the wave form with the wave going in the correction directions you'll damn near eliminate pops and clicks, or at least that has been my experience on 2kxl and ASR-10 (same method when looping single and double cycle waves for bass/synth). Is that what your trying to do?
By JillSandwhich Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:14 pm
Lampdog wrote:Pops and Clicks on cycle'd loops come from sudden drops/increase in volume. If you hit zero crossings on the wave form with the wave going in the correction directions you'll damn near eliminate pops and clicks, or at least that has been my experience on 2kxl and ASR-10 (same method when looping single and double cycle waves for bass/synth). Is that what your trying to do?

Yo thanks for the reply, what exactly do you mean by cycled loops and looping single and double cycle waves? I'm sampling a single bass note from the minibrute into my mpc and then I'm attempting to make it sound smooth enough to use 16 levels and play a bassline. If daw's had a more solid method for tracking in completely on time how I have it sequenced in my mpc then I would try to learn how to play the bass live into a daw but it seems like there's no way to do that, atleast that im aware of.
By Lampdog Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:24 am
I first though you were doing this, nope, sounds like yours is a sample instead.

http://blog.synthesizerwriter.com/2020/ ... forms.html

Do you have raw audio sample versus processed audio sample so we can her the difference? Maybe someone can hear something in it they could suggest trying different.

By Christov Tue Apr 04, 2023 5:06 am
Just make sure your wavesamples from the arturia start from a flat point (like Lampdogs picture) and not above or beneath the middle line before you start playing them with 16 levels. Trim it, or just put a fade in on the immediate beginning of your sample and you'll probably be fine.
By Lampdog Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:37 am
Yep.. Zoom in on start point, get it close to zero point going upwards, jog wheel the fine tune back and forth while hitting the pad. You’ll hear the pop/click slowly smooth out. When that happens it means your close to or at a zero point crossing.