Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By HellsWindStaff Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:54 pm
I have a little problem with playing midi on my mpc2000xl. Currently I use the mpc to control different devices through midi out. I use a midi keyboard to easily input midi data into the mpc and control the differences devices (via midi in).
Everything seems to work fine though whenever I want to record (or just play) and I use the play/start button (not the regular play button) things go wrong. For example, I press play/start to record something on the microkorg and it selects another program (another sound) I have stored into the microkorg.

Does anyone know how to solve this problem? (it's not tha big of an issue since I can easily return to the start of a pattern with the arrow keys, but still...)
By The Jackal Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:29 am
The Play/Start function not only starts/syncs gear, but it's signal can trigger other functions on other devices if the device interprets it as such i.e. you probably need to go into the MicroKorg's global MIDI parameters and change something, turn something off. Or there's the odd chance you have a program change recorded on a track you're unaware of? I do not remember if in the MPC you can assign Play/Start to trigger program changes, etc., or if it's fixed and only starts/syncs other devices, you will need to refer to the manual for that.

And this is kind of a side note, but my MIDI controller can send out ghost notes through sliders sometimes, so if I don't zero them out, I get all kinds of junk data recorded in based off of whatever slider was sending out constant values. What I'm saying is in the odd chance you did have something like a program change recorded in, it could come from the MIDI controller.
By HellsWindStaff Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:25 pm
The Jackal wrote:The Play/Start function not only starts/syncs gear, but it's signal can trigger other functions on other devices if the device interprets it as such i.e. you probably need to go into the MicroKorg's global MIDI parameters and change something, turn something off. Or there's the odd chance you have a program change recorded on a track you're unaware of? I do not remember if in the MPC you can assign Play/Start to trigger program changes, etc., or if it's fixed and only starts/syncs other devices, you will need to refer to the manual for that.

And this is kind of a side note, but my MIDI controller can send out ghost notes through sliders sometimes, so if I don't zero them out, I get all kinds of junk data recorded in based off of whatever slider was sending out constant values. What I'm saying is in the odd chance you did have something like a program change recorded in, it could come from the MIDI controller.

Thanks for your reply! I've been busy but found some time to figure things out a bit. You're right, I had to turn of program change on the microkorg.
Now I need to figure out how to do it on the Dx7s since I think the program change function only refers to the midi out program (not the midi in).
I'll also look into any program change features on the MPC (maybe that way I can disable it on the dx7).
Thanks for the help!
By HellsWindStaff Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:33 pm
The Jackal wrote:The Play/Start function not only starts/syncs gear, but it's signal can trigger other functions on other devices if the device interprets it as such i.e. you probably need to go into the MicroKorg's global MIDI parameters and change something, turn something off. Or there's the odd chance you have a program change recorded on a track you're unaware of? I do not remember if in the MPC you can assign Play/Start to trigger program changes, etc., or if it's fixed and only starts/syncs other devices, you will need to refer to the manual for that.

Okay, so it was as simple as just setting the pgm function on the main screen to 'off'... .