Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By jayho9000 Wed Apr 09, 2003 9:26 am
This question is aimed at people who are more familiar with the MPC and especially the MIDI capabilities it has.

I don't believe that it can do this, but I thought I'd make sure. If you have the MPC 2000XL MIDI'd to and controlling a module synth (like a Roland JV-1010), can you transmit program BANK changes from the MPC to the module without having to adjust them on the module? I know you can change some "program" data, but I want to know if you can change the module's BANK data, or if you have to change it on the actual synth itself?

Thanks.
By sirreal Wed Apr 09, 2003 2:54 pm
this function should be possible in the step edit screen. You will still need to be familiar with the module because you will need to find the MSB (most significant byte) and LSB (least...) numbers in order to program the controller changes.

In step edit, hit insert and scroll from note to program change and hit do it. Now in this space that should read 1, yuo can program the sound number. Next hit insert again and scroll from program change one left to control change. The default control change message is MSB. Do this twice and change the second MSB to LSB (type 32 and hit enter).

In the event that you have multiple roms to pull sounds from in your module, the MSB generally controls the selected rom while LSB controls the banks within the same rom. Additionally, the sound within the bank is controlled by program change.

Hope this helps, I will try to surf for info on the MSB and LSB options for whichever module you are using if you can provide that info.

Good Luck...

-Humble-

By Mddl Fngr Wed Apr 09, 2003 6:40 pm
If you don't have the manual you can download the supplemental notes from here http://www.synthman.com/roland/support/ ... ntalnotes/. There's a chart with the MSB/LSB for each bank.
By sirreal Wed Apr 09, 2003 6:55 pm
@Middle, because I was trying to find some info but apparently looking in all of the wrong places.

Hope all of the info proves helpful, any more confusion, keep is posted (no pun intended)...