Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By en2 Wed Apr 09, 2003 10:36 pm
does anybody how swing is used in hiphop...is it used just for like early snares on individual notes or is it effective for a whole track, or even a whole sequence? who nose.

peace

en2
By sirreal Thu Apr 10, 2003 2:51 pm
but in my experiences with swing, in its artificial form, this generally would only apply to drums and other percussion occasionally (most commonly kicks and snares). The MPC swing is merely a more abstract form of quantizing to give more variation to the beat in an attempt to make the beat sound less mechanical and less rhythmically precise. I personally have experimented and come to find only comfortable ranges between 52 and 55 before my tracks begin to alter a bit too much. I am certain that others would have varying opinions, but I think a good example of swing would be Dre's beats. Don't know for sure, but I'd be willing to bet that he is using swing somewhere between 53-58 percent. If you notice, most of his drums have a unique almost delay to him that make all of his tracks kick you in the butt to move. I have recently just started to negate the swing and just set quantize to off. This way all mistakes stick and sometimes this is the best type of swing (after all swing is suppos to represent the natural drummer style that you can't get with quantizing).

Just my 2 cents and worth just that...

-Humble-
By en2 Thu Apr 10, 2003 3:59 pm
thanks for the info, thats kinda why I wanted to use swing...to get rid of that robot beat feel. yo where are from in IL, im in boston right now but I'll be in evanston this summer.

peace,

en2
By sirreal Thu Apr 10, 2003 5:32 pm
originally from West Side of Chicago (recently relocated to Bellwood, a West suburb) and currently in Carbondale (5 hours south of Chicago) in school. Graduating in May and going home to pursue my music production career.

-Hubmle-
By trees Fri Apr 11, 2003 2:04 am
i put that shit up to 75% and still cant hear any difference

By elmacaco Fri Apr 11, 2003 5:46 am
do it before you record a beat, or part of a beat. then listen.

By counterspace Fri Apr 11, 2003 1:39 pm
Also, I think the swing will only work up to 16(3), not for 32,32(3), or "off". Swing can be used pretty effectively on hihats too.
By sirreal Fri Apr 11, 2003 5:39 pm
actually, the swing only works for 1/8 and 1/16 (as it relates to swing %), but for all of the other options, you can set the earlier or later function and the amount. This is virtually the same as setting the swing %, but it is also very true that you must have the swing set before you record onto a track not post...

By brainwashcloth Fri Apr 11, 2003 6:49 pm
thats not true you can apply swing after a track is recorded to a certain note or pad.
By sirreal Fri Apr 11, 2003 6:56 pm
and I do stand corrected brain...
good looking out...

-Humble-
By origami Fri Apr 11, 2003 7:16 pm
you ever in st.louis?

any good digging spots in carbondale?
i love that place...

By brainwashcloth Fri Apr 11, 2003 7:23 pm
i believe you can quantize after you have recorded even, but i never mess with that.
By sirreal Fri Apr 11, 2003 7:50 pm
visit STL from time to time to shop or just hang out. Got some friends who gig at this new club downtown STL. I also got a buddy who runs a little studio called 3D Productions so I see my share of the Arch.

Carbondale is aight, been here five years so not much that I haven't seen, you know?!

-Humble-