Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By ErrolT Thu Apr 10, 2003 10:07 am
Hi people,

I've got some question about getting a MPC2000 XL and any advice you could give me would be very helpful.

Bout me: I make hip-hop, uk garage, reggae, and DnB beats using chopped-up breaks only. I currently use an Emu sampler controlled through VST. This way of working is fine for me but I want to use a sampler dedicated to percussion to free up my Emu for other sounds.

My Q's:

Not having used a hardware sequencer before, how do I integrate the MPC into my setup? ie, do I write the beats on the MPC and just trigger loops from Cubase?

I've heard of people sync-ing Cubase to the MPC, can anyone explain this to me and whether it's necessary?

Any advice on the pros and cons of buying second hand would be good also.

Thanks for the time folks. I really appreciate any replies especially those from people who use both hardware and software sequencers together.

ErrolT

By DJ2D Thu Apr 10, 2003 11:57 am
Hello mate,

I'm into 2 step/nu school breaks/jungle too. The sequencer of the mpc is so easy to use, really intuitive and very precise. But, if i were you, i'd keep the emu for sampling, as the sampler in the mpc sounds a bit too clean, and a bit cold (well that's my point of view). There's only a low pass filter (which doesn't sounds so good too, especially compared with z plane filters..), no adsr enveloppes and no lfos. You can command easily the emu's sounds from the mpc via midi.

For using the mpc with track recorder as cubase, what i do is making all my stuff on the mpc and other gear, and once everything is done i record track by track in cubase (with a midi sync), add fxs and so. It works good, and i don't spend hours on cubase making sequences.... Anyway, everyone has its own way of working 8)

By ErrolT Fri Apr 11, 2003 11:54 am
Thanks 2D - that's got me thinking.

Main reasons I want to go for an MPC is to get extra outputs without upgrading my sampler - I love the Emu and I'll stick with it for it's great filters and the fact that I have hundreds of my own sampled presets on Zip. It might sound like I just need another sampler but I'm after a much tighter sound and something I can play into and "tour" with.

So I can do all my sequencing in the MPC. Good, I hate VST with a passion.

What about sync-ing via midi or smpte? How is this done and will this help improve the timing of sequences coming out of the MPC in say external samplers? And is it possible to sync to cubase and trigger short sequences (like sequence the sequences in the MPC - say I write four bars into the MPC and trigger this from VST with audio and midi parts written in VST)? Does anyone here work like that.

Would I be better - like you say 2D - to work out of the MPC and track everything into my Mac as audio using a good audio editor (maybe I should finally go to ProTools?)

E.

P.s. Sorry for the long dumb posts - If I ask this stuff in a shop they'll tell me what I want to hear - I can trust the heads on this forum to give it to me straight. thanks.

By -{n8}- Sat Apr 12, 2003 3:05 am
Well as far as syncing goes.. really all it does is allow you to control your mpc's stop & start operation from a pc or vis versa.

If you want to record and additional VST sequence and have it play along at the same BPM than that's the feature that will come in handy for especially in a live situation with pre sequenced loops or tracks.

The PC is great for softsynths, multilayered samples and the actual laying down of a polished track. If you were going to use the mpc in a live situation I would slave the PC to the MPC otherwise there will be longer intervals between beats (loading loops and sequences in cubase or something). The mpc operates as fast as you can adjust it so I really can't see how the computer could be a master (in sync mode that is in a live situation).

In addition to integrating your mpc with a PC, I should also note that you will be able to trigger VST instruments using the pads via the midi out. You could also program a midi template on your mpc's pads to control certain functions in a program like cubase (mute and solo buttons.. arm record etc).

You don't need a mac but protools is an industry standard so if your not totally pro (that means exchanging tracks between studios) you won't need it. I believe it's more of a preferences thing but others might have an opposite opinion.

Hope that helps,

1-0ne