Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By trkkazulu Sun May 25, 2003 9:02 am
High, and welcome to the world of the MPC! Let me get to the point. Turn off your computer and get with your MPC. You have 32 megs of memory. Do you have the effects card? If you don't, get one. If you do, start working through the tutorials available here and elsewhere on the internet. You have a lot of catching up to do if you're going to master this wonderfully versatile tool. You have lots to gain by devoting some time to learning the MPC. You have a big enough learning curve to work through without the further complication of adding a computer to the equation.

There are many reliable members on this group. There are also the MPC forums on Yahoo groups. Hang out and get knowledge. Explore and discover one of the most powerful music production tools ever built!

One other thing, forget the MPC60.

Now start banging.

By blackrome Sun May 25, 2003 11:44 am
brainwashcloth wrote:maybe if you were using a real program not fruity loops you wouldnt have had timing problems. cause i use real programs like reason and cubase SX and have no problems.

"Real" Programs. You're talking about software right.
Thats funny.

To top you're comment I would have to say somenthing stupid like if you don't use pro tools you're not a "real" professional.

You should never knock the tools someone uses. To each his own.

I could knock you for not being smart enough to use the MPC for the one uniqueness that can not be copied on a PC. .
The timing of the sequencer.
But you're smart enough to know that..

brainwashcloth wrote:
i pretty much only use my mpc as a midi controller these days. .

Maybe not.

By elmacaco Sun May 25, 2003 6:15 pm
Latency? this isn't from the MPC outs but when controlling software? You need a good soundcard with ASIO drivers.

**** using it as a midi controller, trkkazulu is right, turn the PC off and mess with the MPC for a while. No latency there (unless you have silence at the begining of your samples that yuo haven't trimmed off.

By elmacaco Sun May 25, 2003 7:10 pm
Latency? this isn't from the MPC outs but when controlling software? You need a good soundcard with ASIO drivers.

**** using it as a midi controller, trkkazulu is right, turn the PC off and mess with the MPC for a while. No latency there (unless you have silence at the begining of your samples that yuo haven't trimmed off.

By freshmints Mon May 26, 2003 1:52 am
thx for advice , but im really into nuendo i love this tol , there are so many kool fx and instruements ie the waves compressors , the new psp vintage warmer , the ohmboys delay etc , i also use the b4 often in fact i luv it , i need reasons rex player etc . and in fact i have a very good soundcard the hoontech dsp 2000 10 channel recording card .

but i have it new and im still not behind the configs , anyway i ll give the mpc a chance , one more question , can i boot the os from the zip drive too ? i have the regular mpc 2k and no flashrom

waz mates

By JesseJ Mon May 26, 2003 3:07 am
freshmints wrote:and in fact i have a very good soundcard the hoontech dsp 2000 10 channel recording card .
s

Yeah well I have the same card and have 9ms latency. Set it up correctly and synch it via MIDI (correct synch settings : MTC 25fps). Keep your MPC as the master and cubase as slave. Theres a support forum and you can download the freshest drivers for the soundcard at http://www.staudio.com/

my 0.01 euros on the topic:

Ive been using almost all sequencer on Atari/mac and PC over the years and heve to tell that there is more or less no difference in midi timing, unless you have a cheapo gaming hard like soundblaster or even worse a SB clone. I love working mainly on my MPC because It is tight and wont fail. I can put it in my backpack and go to my friends house, rehersals, studio and live and heva all my work with me.. and all sounds... (well right now it has failed since some fool dropped it to the floor and it is broken, I have backups of the discs and my friends have MPCs so theres no worries.. life and gigs go on as usual)

As of working with different gear, outboard and software, routing sound thru whatever that makes your ears happy... whats the difference in what you use as long as in the end you and the listener are happy?

I bet I could post some tunes and sounds to you audiophiles out there and you'd be merely guessing what equipment was used...

I could trigger a VSTi softsynth with my midi keyboard or MPC pad and route it out of my soundcard through a vintage outboard roland space echo tape delay and route it back in to the PC through Waves C-4 multiband compressor set on stun and then back out through a vintage guitar wah pedal with an almost dead 9v battery and then into a 100w marshall guitar rig and mic that with a shure sm57 going into a tube preamp into a outboard mixer thats routed to the PC and into a cubase track.

Then sample that sound into my MPC and regenerate it live or sequence it... hows that for versatility???
By trkkazulu Sun Jun 01, 2003 9:38 pm
"... can i boot the os from the zip drive too ? i have the regular mpc 2k and no flashrom "

Do you mean to ask whether or not you can upgrade the os from a Zip drive? If that is your question, i've done that.

In response to your comments about Nuendo: fine. Still, don't waste $1000 plus of MPC. Put some quality time into it and i assure you you won't regret it.

JPW