Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000

By MalAkye79 Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:36 pm
yeah i use craigslist a lot more now. i got a scsi drive for the MPC (a 250MB) for $20 bucks last year. and 2 weeks ago i bought a usb 250 for 10 bucks and she threw in 4 disks. so i need to find some disks for real cheap.

By stryke Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:40 pm
MalAkye79 wrote:yeah i use craigslist a lot more now. i got a scsi drive for the MPC (a 250MB) for $20 bucks last year. and 2 weeks ago i bought a usb 250 for 10 bucks and she threw in 4 disks. so i need to find some disks for real cheap.

I might have to check out Craiglist then.

Peace.

By MalAkye79 Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:52 pm
they have a lot of ish there. i got my MPC a year and a half ago there for $500. and its in a lot of states. im sure you can just google it.

By MalAkye79 Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:20 am
yup im back... man this is killin me lol i just formatted my zip into 3 partitions on my mac. i formatted them into FAT16 i got all my sounds on it. poped it into the MPC and BAM it doesnt read the partitions. is FAT16 what the MPC is supposed to read?

By Lampdog Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:40 am
"is FAT16 what the MPC is supposed to read?"
Yes.

I've never had a problem with what you just did but I used pc/fat16.

By MalAkye79 Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:44 am
Lampdog wrote:"is FAT16 what the MPC is supposed to read?"
Yes.

I've never had a problem with what you just did but I used pc/fat16.

i have the option for MS DOS partition on my mac. and it turns it into fat 16 but when i load it up it has a bunch of question marks under "SCSI 5" label in LOAD

that is when i partitioned with disk utility. i dont know what my other options are to partition. i even named my partitions A B & C.

to be more specific it was partitioned as MS-DOS File System (FAT16)
and it also says "to use the disk to start up DOS and windows computers, or to use with devices that require DOS-compatible or windows-compatible partitions"
By Lampdog Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:58 am
MalAkye79 wrote:to use with devices that require DOS-compatible

That is your mpc also, I don't know what else to tell you, I'm stumped.

Sounded like you did everything right, but I'm outta clues.

By MalAkye79 Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:48 am
did i name the partitions right? i named them A B and C. with capital letters. does the MPC only recognize partitions witha certain amount of files in it? my partitions have about 300 files in them.

By stryke Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:35 pm
MalAkye79 wrote:did i name the partitions right?
YES.
i named them A B and C. with capital letters.
THERE"S NO OTHER WAY TO NAME THEM.

does the MPC only recognize partitions witha certain amount of files in it?
NOPE,THE MPC READS ALL COMPATIBLE FILES ON THE DISK.

my partitions have about 300 files in them.

by the way,i wasn't yelling at you.Just wanted to make sure you saw my reply.

By MalAkye79 Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:44 pm
stryke wrote:
MalAkye79 wrote:did i name the partitions right?
YES.
i named them A B and C. with capital letters.
THERE"S NO OTHER WAY TO NAME THEM.

does the MPC only recognize partitions witha certain amount of files in it?
NOPE,THE MPC READS ALL COMPATIBLE FILES ON THE DISK.

my partitions have about 300 files in them.

by the way,i wasn't yelling at you.Just wanted to make sure you saw my reply.

no problem man. thanks for the help. this is confusing the hell out of me. theres got to be a way i can do this lol. i just wish my mac would recognize the partitions when i partition from the MPC.

By dmaxj Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:28 am
Overall, this should not be this difficult.

1) First make sure that all of your .wav files on the Mac are 16 bit, 44.1.

2) Format your zip disk on your MPC (FAT 16, MS-DOS by default) OR format your zip disk on your MAC (FAT 16, MS-DOS, bootup option is not needed.)

3) Put the zip disk in your MAC and copy the files - NOTE that filenames will be truncated if the filenames are over 8 characters (FAT 16 standard.)

4) Put the disk in the MPC and load each .wav - this will take lots of time since you have to load each .wav in separately. MAKE sure that you are not using a folder for the 2K classic - it just won't work.

5) I would use MPC program-maker to make a .PGM file for loading in the MPC.

6) Lastly, the MPC classic is a delicate box. You must realize that when you start eating up large amount of RAM that YOU WILL inevitably run into problems because the MPC NEEDS its own RAM to shuffle, move and handle data around.

7) I don't know why you'd want to load up such a large kit, but if you want to, I recommend loading up smaller amounts of .wav's. You can then just append to what's in your MPC memory.

8) Work smarter - not harder.

Peace

By MalAkye79 Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:44 am
dmaxj wrote:Overall, this should not be this difficult.

1) First make sure that all of your .wav files on the Mac are 16 bit, 44.1.

2) Format your zip disk on your MPC (FAT 16, MS-DOS by default) OR format your zip disk on your MAC (FAT 16, MS-DOS, bootup option is not needed.)

3) Put the zip disk in your MAC and copy the files - NOTE that filenames will be truncated if the filenames are over 8 characters (FAT 16 standard.)

4) Put the disk in the MPC and load each .wav - this will take lots of time since you have to load each .wav in separately. MAKE sure that you are not using a folder for the 2K classic - it just won't work.

5) I would use MPC program-maker to make a .PGM file for loading in the MPC.

6) Lastly, the MPC classic is a delicate box. You must realize that when you start eating up large amount of RAM that YOU WILL inevitably run into problems because the MPC NEEDS its own RAM to shuffle, move and handle data around.

7) I don't know why you'd want to load up such a large kit, but if you want to, I recommend loading up smaller amounts of .wav's. You can then just append to what's in your MPC memory.

8) Work smarter - not harder.

Peace

yeah i was thinking the same thing. i just might put all the sounds on multiple disks. it makes more sense... but thanks for your reply. i appreciate it.
By hok-2 Mon May 04, 2015 1:45 pm
I have had similar troubles
Mpc editor doesn't always work for me (no disrespect to the makers of Mpc editor, a good program and free)
I think it will not recognize sounds that are not 16 bit

I use 'Cool EDit Pro'
Which is a bit easier to get hold of than other programs, if you get what I'm saying.
I like Cool Edit .
But I think most people think it's wack.

Anyway if you have it, this is how to transfer a sound to a format your Mcp 2000 will recognize (on a windows xp system)

Drag and drop your sound into it
Double click it to get on single track view
Click 'edit' in the right corner and select "convert sample type''

Choose '16 bit' in the resolution field then press 'ok'
It will convert it to 16 bit
Click 'file'
scroll to 'save as'
underneath 'file name' there is a box which says ' file type'
set that to 'Windows PCM'
Then 'save' it to your floppy or what ever
I use a Usb and Floppy drive emulator in my Mpc
but a Usb floppy drive would work just the same I imagine.

Hope that helps anyone trying to do that type of stuff.
By 808 Bang Sat May 09, 2015 1:43 am
well i noticed when i load some wavs using my internal zip 100, it will convert them to snd once i save them to a disc, it's like it accepts the wavs and does it's own conversion to snd.

Re:

By [email protected] Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:02 am
MalAkye79 wrote:everytime i convert a wav or somethign to .snd it wont load into my MPC2000. i dont kn/ow what else to do. keep getting error messages.

WHAT IS THE CODE?