Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By MPC60 Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:42 pm
I was reading thru this thread don't even how I stumbled on it lol. Hadn't been on the board in ages. But reading thru got me thinking...I've got a good friend I'm gonna ask him if he could plug me in with some of his folks that may be able to do this. They whole team is IT heads and might just do it for culture. I will see what the financials hit for or even if it's something they will do.

I know it's very possible. The fact that nobody has touched it does intrigue me. The fact the 2000 is the last and least upgraded is wild. They just made internal card readers which XL been had. And I don't care if its possible to buy a better mpc or go software whatever. Ppl want what they want. And it's always all good and easy to tell somebody what they don't need because you dont. It's worth a shot to ask....I will report back with my findings
By loose_t Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:07 pm
IMO a new OS is unnecessary in 2020. The things that made the xl more desirable than the classic are not that relevant now. I remember 10-20 years ago is was cool to do your whole track in the MPC. if this is how you work the xl leaves the classic in the dust... These days people seem to be using the old MPCs more like it was originally intended, as a drum machine. The classic is great in this role. IMO You’d be bonkers to use the time stretch or chopping on the xl these days, and one program is actually fine in a hybrid hardware/synths/software set up.
By AWW~NAWW Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:12 pm
MPC60 wrote:I was reading thru this thread don't even how I stumbled on it lol. Hadn't been on the board in ages. But reading thru got me thinking...I've got a good friend I'm gonna ask him if he could plug me in with some of his folks that may be able to do this. They whole team is IT heads and might just do it for culture. I will see what the financials hit for or even if it's something they will do.

I know it's very possible. The fact that nobody has touched it does intrigue me. The fact the 2000 is the last and least upgraded is wild. They just made internal card readers which XL been had. And I don't care if its possible to buy a better mpc or go software whatever. Ppl want what they want. And it's always all good and easy to tell somebody what they don't need because you dont. It's worth a shot to ask....I will report back with my findings

Any headway with this? Id pay for it in a heart beat.  Also ask about the 4k as well.
By Phonetic Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:06 pm
Any headway with this? Id pay for it in a heart beat.  Also ask about the 4k as well.[/quote]

I would happily pay for it now!
Maybe if someone set up a crowd funding thing to help the development team? If possible of course...
By ArtyGZ Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:12 pm
A custom OS for the 2K classic and XL would be neat. But reverse engineering the whole thing would be close to impossible unfortunately. One thing for sure is that there is potentialy huge demand for this tho.

As of now one can open the .exe or .sys files of the OS with a hex editor and edit the splash screen and other string values to display custom text, as I've done here: