Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By a_real_mc Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:20 pm
I'm really glad this guide helped so many people. Just to answer a few of the most recent questions...

^^^About the cracked glass on the casing of the LCD, you might be able to get that piece from VST, just call or email them and find out. And, no, you wouldn't have to do even half of the stuff necessary to replace the entire screen. Mainly because you won't have to get into the internals at all...

^^^Next, I don't know where you will find the CHEAPEST LCD screen, but to be honest, this is not a part to worry about price with. I would ONLY trust VST when it comes to ordering a screen. You may pay a bit more, but you can rest assured that your screen will work properly, and it will be BRAND NEW!

^^^If your LCD screen works properly, but there is NO LIGHT, it's not the LCD screen itself, it's the BACKLIGHT. I'm not positive, but I'd guess you will be able to order the backlight from VST. However, I have never installed JUST the backlight, so I can't exactly help you with installation.

I guess that's everything for now. And if ANYONE has further questiong regarding the screen, or anything really, feel free to ask in this thread (if it concerns LCD screens, or something related). Anything not related to the LCD, I'd prefer you PM me instead. If it's something I can answer, I'll surely help.

-----Oh, and one more thing...I don't come on here EVERYDAY, so if you ask a question, and I don't respond immediately, I haven't forgot you, I just haven't logged back on yet. Be patient....
By a_real_mc Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:34 pm
To answer Lazy Ray's question, the screen typically goes bad when you leave your MPC on for an extended period of time.

I'm not talking about a day or two...I regularly left my MPC on for 3-4 months at a time. Mainly because I never stopped making beats. I would be half done with one, get bored and start 1-2 more at the same time. So, I was never finished... It never caused any problem until after about 2+ years of this, and then I got a couple small lines through my screen, very minor. But it progressively gets worse. I went about 1 1/2 to 2 years making beats with the screen looking EXACTLY as the picture I included. And oddly, I made the BEST BEATS of my career without a screen....

But, that is the primary reason for a screen going bad....Hope this answered your question bro....

PEACE

-wize
By roxstar Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:57 pm
That's crazy, but true! I never leave my MPC on for days, and if I have to do something that may take a few hours, I dim the contrast all the way down. Nt sure if that really helps, but I never saw lines on my old XL in the 5 years I owned it. I do have a friend that did the same thing like you; had it turned on for months at a time. I'd go over to his house and all the pad banks were full and all 99 sequences were used up! haha
By t genius Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:42 pm
hi thats a very informative post. i use an mpc2000 and love it to bits. wats the biggest gig drive ican get for it. heard all types of sh*t bout g3 mac drives jazz zip drives and also wats the biggest drive i can use with a pc with a scsi port as ive got about 200!zips and need to back them up,any info would be great thanks..
By evolve Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:30 am
Ayo all
Thats a great guide to installing a lcd on the xl....MY problem is that my screen still works but the light DOES NOT work....The screen comes up fine but it seems the light has been disconnected is it worth taking apart my xl 2 check all the cables are pluged in?? When I hit buttons sometimes the light flashes by chance would that mean its just disconnected slightly???

thanks evolve
By a_real_mc Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:32 am
That's probably just a loose connection...If you're experienced with MPC surgery, open her up and make sure the connection is tight. If you're not, be very careful what you mess with, you can do damage if you tamper with the wrong wires...Good luck...
By Don Flako Sat May 23, 2009 1:48 am
I have a MPC classic in beautiful condition, and I just got a free XL that's a little beat up with a pixelated screen. I want to keep the XL for obvious reasons, auto chop, time stretching, etc... I know the LCD's are exactly the same aside from the length of the ribbon and the wire line. If I was to remove and resodder the ribbon to the Classic screen which works fine, would I be able to install it into the XL?