Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By tescott Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:40 pm
The key to this install is making the internal SCSI connection. You need a 50 pin IDC cable. ImageI soldered mine in using info I found in this forum.[/img]

By tescott Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:58 pm
Here is a pic of the cardreader.
I don't have the 8 out board or anything else installed so there was room for the harddrive.
Here are pics of the power connections for the cardreader and harddrive.

By texasrida1 Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:28 pm
So did it work or what???

By taxman806 Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:36 pm
So, let me get this right... you put a hard drive in your xl? Did it work? I just got an xl and i want to put a card reader in it. But, if an HD is an option, I would like to explore that option as well. Holla!

By fasttrackpimp Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:05 am
taxman806 wrote:So, let me get this right... you put a hard drive in your xl? Did it work? I just got an xl and i want to put a card reader in it. But, if an HD is an option, I would like to explore that option as well. Holla!

Looks like the reg 2k.

By MPCpadBanga Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:24 am
OK, so i can just get the card reader, connect thru the scsi and leave it external correct??

By pt3r Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:46 pm
on the XL yes on the classic no; there you'll have to built your own internal scsi to do that. Which is not for the faint of heart or the clumsy ones. If you've never taken a soldering iron on integrated circuit boards with success then don't even think about it, you more then likely will **** up your MPC.

By hans Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:17 am
Hey fellas, first post here, so bear with me!

You guys have any PSU problems at all, considering the new current drain?

Really want to get a HD for my XL. I read somewhere that the xl cant cope with a HD of more than about 4G bytes, as it needs to be partitioned into smaller sectors, for searching. Is that correct?

Any other pointers for me before I attempt to use a HD with my XL?
I'm thinking of getting an SCSI HD, and using my external SCSI O/P on the XL to save sounds, cos all I have at the moment's floppy, and floppy's frustrating as hell.

And for all the "dont try this at home heads" its cool, I'm an engineer, and I'm gonna play with the thing one way or the other!

By LunaticBastard Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:38 pm
yo on a xl this is a plug and play mod. and with os1.2 you can partition up to 1gb sectors. you can either find a 50pin scsi hdd or use a 80pin scsi with a 80 to 50 pin adaptor. i have the 8out op too and i still was able to squeeze in a full sized drive. ive been using it like this for a long time problem free.

By Alistar Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:58 am
Holy shit... am I the only one that noticed it was a 10,000 RPM drive? Thought SCSI drives only went up to 7,200. That's cool as shit. Very neat job.

An in depth tutorial would be nice, though.

By destruktiv Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:01 am
Alistar wrote:Holy ****... am I the only one that noticed it was a 10,000 RPM drive? Thought SCSI drives only went up to 7,200. That's cool as ****. Very neat job.

An in depth tutorial would be nice, though.

look here. my photos are not so good, but you get some information.

http://www.mpc-forums.com/viewtopic.php ... highlight=

its, funny. some one make a mod in the 2k and the xl user write something in thread. the 2k and xl are two different machines.

By MPCpadBanga Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:42 am
tigerdirect.com got high speed 4gb compact flash for 19.99, fo all ya'll with a card reader... id have to partition this though, correct?

By _Stilo_ Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:33 pm
Alistar wrote:Holy ****... am I the only one that noticed it was a 10,000 RPM drive? Thought SCSI drives only went up to 7,200.

No, but 10.000RPM drives are usually loud as hell.

By hans Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:00 pm
LunaticBastard wrote:yo on a xl this is a plug and play mod. and with os1.2 you can partition up to 1gb sectors. you can either find a 50pin scsi hdd or use a 80pin scsi with a 80 to 50 pin adaptor. i have the 8out op too and i still was able to squeeze in a full sized drive. ive been using it like this for a long time problem free.

Much thanks; exactly the answer I was hoping for!

I'll get to work on mine, and throw in some pics of the results; thinking of pimping my baby out with some cool blue LED's too maybe, whilst it's open!