Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By kay-cee Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:25 pm
Hi all! im gonna buy a 2000 xl ! and cause im a noob a would ask if 2 outs are enough ! for what i need the outs!? I think 2 are enough maybe u can help me !

greetz Kay-Cee (sorry 4 my english)
By _Stilo_ Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:03 pm
GRMM D wrote:but whatever your recording to needs to have 8 inputs.

Or the mixer you're running it through before recording. Or you want to run some sounds through an external effect before mixing and recording, then an extra out is useful too.
By JAISU Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:48 pm
does anyone have experience at comparing the sound that comes out the 8 outs to the sound out the main stereo outs?? i'm thinking about the 8-outs just for ease of use, but is the sound less quality than if u say, midi-ed up to ur DAW and just did each track out the stereo outputs? safe
By kay-cee Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:02 pm
i will buy the mpc for 500 €(with 2 outs) if i need more i will buy 8 outs :D

one question how meny cost a cf card reader :D ?
By DaFunkDocta2004 Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:53 pm
JAISU wrote:does anyone have experience at comparing the sound that comes out the 8 outs to the sound out the main stereo outs?? i'm thinking about the 8-outs just for ease of use, but is the sound less quality than if u say, midi-ed up to ur DAW and just did each track out the stereo outputs? safe

Acutally, I've heard from more than one engineer that prefers MPC users to track out of their main outs instead of the 8-outs. Of course, I hear this after hunting the part down for more than a year, lol...it's true, though
By Lampdog Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:57 pm
If you care at all about outboard mixing (which is the standard primary reason for a DAW) then yes, you need the 8 outs.
By JAISU Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:04 pm
DaFunkDocta2004 wrote:
JAISU wrote:does anyone have experience at comparing the sound that comes out the 8 outs to the sound out the main stereo outs?? i'm thinking about the 8-outs just for ease of use, but is the sound less quality than if u say, midi-ed up to ur DAW and just did each track out the stereo outputs? safe

Acutally, I've heard from more than one engineer that prefers MPC users to track out of their main outs instead of the 8-outs. Of course, I hear this after hunting the part down for more than a year, lol...it's true, though

yeah word i read the same in scratch magazine before it went under...
you remember that maaad fine female engineer who worked with timbo & danja..she was recommending using the main 2 outs over the 8..but its obviously more hassle with the midi and having to solo each track....hmmmm i'm too bruk for an 8-in soundcard anyway LOL
By DaFunkDocta2004 Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:12 pm
Yeah man, in all honesty, I regret being so pressed for something that would only annoy an engineer and possibly take away some quality from my work. The MIDI thing won't be as much of a hassle as you think, tho. Once you do it one time, you're set.
By GRMM D Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:00 pm
JAISU wrote:
DaFunkDocta2004 wrote:

yeah word i read the same in scratch magazine before it went under...
you remember that maaad fine female engineer who worked with timbo & danja..she was recommending using the main 2 outs over the 8..but its obviously more hassle with the midi and having to solo each track....hmmmm i'm too bruk for an 8-in soundcard anyway LOL

i cant say that i agree with this but it makes a difference if all of the beat is coming out of a stereo track. but when u break the tracks up you have more control over each individual and overall sound. at that point u have an extreme advantage over the overall and individual sound. you can make it sound the same as it does out of a stereo track but once its 2 tracked thats it. the 8 outs doesnt depreciate the quality of the sound. i think people rather use the stereo outs because its less of a hassle. breaking your tracks up is always the best way but im only speaking from experience. even with just a stereo track breaking your tracks up should be an option. STOP BEING LAZY :wink: !!!
By bicedidit Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:13 pm
Chromek wrote:8 outs also has Digital SPDIF I/O

so you can sample from a DVD player etc

u dont need the spdif to sample from a dvd player or any other source for that matter.

ive had my 2kxl for almost 4 yrs now and i still havent upgraded to the 8 outs or the fx. just make sure u upgrade the memory.

u can get by fine without both of them for awhile.
By Lampdog Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:51 am
u can get by fine without both of them for awhile.
Yep, sure can. I bought my efx card right off the bat.

The 8 outs, I just purchased not to long ago, after like 7 years, lol.

*shouts to Jimbo*
By matti-san Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:39 am
the only reason i can think someone would prefer the main outs over the 8 individual outputs is that if they have the eb16 effects board and want to track with the internal effects applied... the 8 individual outs are dry signal only.
By Lampdog Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:03 am
matti-san wrote:the only reason i can think someone would prefer the main outs over the 8 individual outputs is that if they have the eb16 effects board and want to track with the internal effects applied... the 8 individual outs are dry signal only.

Page 139 2kxl manual says different, I've also done it so I know it works 8)

Chapter 9: Effects, Page 139, Multi-effects

The MPC2000XL has two multi-effects and each has five effect modules. You can execute various
routings by rearranging the modules. Select MULTI FX1 or FX2 in the Edit: field of
the FXedit screen and then select MIX with the CURSOR keys.

Press OPEN WINDOW to open the Effect Mixer window.

Direct sig: This turns the direct sound of the signal input to an effect on or off. When it is
ON, the level or pan of the direct sound is adjusted by the stereo mixer.

Patch: To set the effect routing.

Output: To select the output of the effect (left and right or individual outputs 1/2, 3/4, 5/6, 7/8).

Dist/EQ: This sets the output level and pan of the distortion and filter modules.

Mod/Echo: This sets the output level and pan of the modulation and delay/echo modules.
Wid adjusts the stereo range of the effect. When Wid is set to 0, the output effect sound
becomes monaural.

Reverb: This sets the output level and pan of the reverb module.