For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By fobedafied Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:16 am
https://www.amazon.com/PreSonus-Eris-E3 ... B075QVMBT9

Ive never had monitors. always just ran house/bookshelf speakers through an old receiver. im actually using some blown out behringer truth 3031a that my homeless homie found in the trash (long story about how drugs can flowers someones whole life up), but im tired of the in and out bs with these, and honestly a bit much for my space.

trying to get something a little better and simpler to wire up/. any thoughts on these? or recommendations of something else that would work. i dont need much as my workspace is pretty small. but may be willing to go to 5" or 6"ers and maybe topping out my pricerange at about $250 or $300. :?:

for a bill these seem like the biz. but i dont know much bout amplifier types and such. these are a/b. :? :hmmm:
By Lampdog Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:56 am
Along with these get an active 50/75rms 6in subwoofer, small in size and just low bass enough to mix with but not bump the pictures off walls, wont shake floors.
Brand wont matter imo.
By NearTao Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:21 pm
Yeah... if you're not looking for heaving mixing duties... you can get some good kit from Bose, Yamaha, and the like. Especially if you're just doing it for itself... if it sounds good it is good.

For my goofing around duties I've got a pair of 2.5" speakers on my desk, basically high end desktop computer speaker style duty... 1/8" TRS input, but for short money you can get 1/4" L/R to 1/8" TRS and just call it a day. If you're just looking to fill a reasonable sized room and not much else... I'd just say go to a Best Buy or something and try out the speakers and if you can hook up something you are familiar with how it sounds playing tracks off your phone or whatever. You can definitely get some good kit in this space for the $150-$250 price range.

If you go with Lampdog's advice, the subwoofer will really open up the dynamic range of even just okay speakers and get you more headroom for the mids and highs.
By fobedafied Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:18 am
thanks yall. :-D

ive done a short search and this is pretty much the only sub ive come across in my price range.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009G ... 6FVCPJHPQ4

im not really sure how a sub would work with my old azz mackie sr24-4. do i send the same signal, yet seperately to the sub as the 3.5" nearfields? and internal crossover or whatev handles the rest?

ive been into this stuff for years but am still such a nub. yeah i just flowers with this schit for my own enjoyment and arent too crucially invested interest wise in mixing a polished product or whatevs. the only person i am interested in entertaining is myself. and those that i realistically "would" collab with irl just dis-encourage me from even turning my schit on due to what id describe as "creative differences". the last thing i wanna partake in is shitrap or narcissistic cornballery. id rather go to work or take a nap or watch some cops get owned by poc's with cameras on youtube. or.......... or............ :oops: :wink:

anyhow thanks yall.
By Cockdiesel Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:48 pm
On my sub there’s outputs for the speakers.
Like you mains go into the sub and then the speakers. Some may be different. I’ve had my speakers for like 15 years and haven’t tried much else.

I was looking at cheap small monitors the other day there is actually a lot out there even 100-200 a pair. I would imagine a matching sub would be in the similar price range.
By Lampdog Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:13 pm
fobedafied wrote:thanks yall. :-D

ive done a short search and this is pretty much the only sub ive come across in my price range.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009G ... 6FVCPJHPQ4

im not really sure how a sub would work with my old azz mackie sr24-4. do i send the same signal, yet seperately to the sub as the 3.5" nearfields? and internal crossover or whatev handles the rest?

anyhow thanks yall.

Yep, for this sub, just normal line in, it will filter/create it’s own LF channel for it’s output.
Some sub do this for self.

Some subs do this AND lets the raw line in audio pass thru to L/R monitors (KRK).
By fobedafied Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:30 am
thanks for the input yall. :-D

damn. B&H had jbl 305p mkIIs for $129 each and i was tempted. deal is gone already and that would've been about $300 total after tax. those are a bit large for me tbh but i was thinking i wouldnt really need a sub with those. but what do i know. i think imma just go with those presonus 3.5"ers. probably keep my eye open for a deal on a sub down the road.... prob wont get much better pricewise than that monoprice sub though. :)

thanks again for the help/. :worthy:
By Lampdog Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:17 pm
I feel everyone needs a sub, all they have to do is control the volume and cutoff, you don’t need to bump the pictures off the wall, but you do need to know what’s going on down there in the lower frequencies.

You can easily use test tones and already mastered music to gauge and tune your sub to you taste. Easy mistake is to just let the bass run wild, control it and everything is fine.
By Cockdiesel Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:21 pm
There’s a tutorial out there for calibration of monitors. I believe it had me set the sub a dbs quieter than my monitors. Forget the exact numbers but there tons of apps out there for spl, free. No reason to not take 5 minutes to calibrate everything

Should be easy to find, I can post a link later
By fobedafied Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:41 am
thanks once again yall. i think imma go ahead and order those presonus 3.5"ers. and probably that monoprice sub in a month or so after i pay those gun toting gangsters at the IRS off. :? :twisted: :mrgreen: :fku:

ill definitely look into calibration when i get set up. thing is wherever i put it in my small space is gonna be a bass trap i think. putting it any distance from wall or not being enclosed in some shelf is gonna be right in the middle of the floor/my sitting/standing spot. ahhahahhahahaha :oops: :x :WTF: :Sigh: :? :lol:

"it" being a sub of course. :|
By Monotremata Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:06 am
Cockdiesel wrote:There’s a tutorial out there for calibration of monitors. I believe it had me set the sub a dbs quieter than my monitors. Forget the exact numbers but there tons of apps out there for spl, free. No reason to not take 5 minutes to calibrate everything

Should be easy to find, I can post a link later

Probably this one here:
http://abluesky.com/support/blue-sky-calibration-test-files/
By Cockdiesel Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:34 am
It wasn’t that one but similar. I didn’t have to download anything the test tone options were available to me on ableton. Just had to download a free app. That one seems more comprehensive but it’s not a lot of work either way. I do recall it had me set the sub under 80 while that one matches everything. There might have been more to the one I used like down to the brand I used. I believe I have it saved, I’ll be using it again over the weekend, so I’ll post it up if I find it. If not I’ll just try yours.