For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By Fretless Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:14 am
Hey! Been using my MPC hardware for a while now (I have a One that I've been using for a few years and a MPC Key 61), and I have been wondering if there's a better way to do external effects routing than what I'm currently doing. I am currently operating in standalone mode. I am working on integrating my guitar effects into the MPC environment, mostly for the fun of having some external controls to fiddle around with while jamming. I have two focusrite 18i20 and a bunch of strymons I use as well.

Right now I have the 4 send/returns going out to my strymon reverb and delays (bigsky/nightsky/timeline/volante) which takes up all of those slots. I also have a mobius and a deco that I like to use as well. What I'm currently doing is sending audio I want to send to those pedals to a submix, routing the submix out to the pedal, and then back in to an audio effects track. For example program 1 outputs to sub 2 which routes to the deco which routes back to an audio track.

My problems here is that I can't do a wet/dry mix for these two effects (to the best of my knowledge) when routed this way, and I can't send audio from the deco effected signal to the mobius in parallel (again to the best of my knowledge).

Am I doing this the most effective way given the limitations of the hardware? I know I could use the built in effects, but I really quite like the sound of the strymon effects and I would really love to have them integrated as best as I can into the rig. Thanks for reading my wall of gibberish.
By Sense-A Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:22 pm
Easiest is probably to get a small table top 8-12 channel mixer, run your audio signals to 4-8 tracks, maybe make a sub mix for drums, and use the mixer to assign how much wet/dry FX you want going to each channel of mixer. A good mixer should allow you to assign FX1, FX2 wet/dry to submix.

The mixer should have sends and returns just for FX. Typically two, maybe more. Possible you could use auxiliary sends and returns for FX.
By terry towelling Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:41 am
After you've recorded your wet signal back into the mpc, you then have a both a wet and a dry signal in your mpc, right? just adjust the levels of each to get the wet/dry mix you want.