For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By Destinite Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:09 pm
I've been using this hot little drum machine app on the iphone for a couple of months...they just beefed it up with a couple extra filters, and it's tight as hell for such a little thing. No MPC for sure, but anyone else use this for the quick beat fix?
By Destinite Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:16 pm
http://www.intua.net/

No, not iDrum - that's garbage. Beatmaker comes in handy for me, though. If I'm at work in the office, I can't just bust out my MPC, so I'll put together a blueprint of sorts if the inspiration hits me, then take it to the MPC later. My boss doesn't know I'm not listening to music. It uses wav files, although of course it's not velocity sensitive, but it's got a step sequencer and sampler with the ability to chop samples, edit waveforms, etc. Plus it's simple as hell to use.
By Upright Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:01 pm
Nuff said, I'm gonna check it out right now.Thanks for the info :D

People thought the 303 was a joke, it went on to define a whole genre of music.
By Destinite Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:05 pm
Even at $20, it's pretty much the best deal for heads with an iPhone.
It's lacking a synth, which many people are complaining about, but there's another sick iPhone app called Noise IO Pro that acts as a synth - they're about to release an update with Beatmaker integration. Noise IO Pro is $10. I think the interface needs some work, as it's a little tough to work with, but powerful.
By mrcrappypantson Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:27 pm
I just put Beatmaker in my phone. It's f!@cking great. It's definitely no joke. I'm all sample based and this thing will be great for rough drafts or I'd even say a full tune. As all samplers, good sounding samples are all you really need. The only thing that is kind of lame is that you must use Wi-Fi to get your own wav/aif's in there. I understand once you have Beatpack set up it's super easy but I don't have Wifi at home anymore. Going about my computer's IP address and ish at work is a definite no no too. I've been fairly content with the samples that come with it though. Have any of you seen this ? http://noise.io/ ? I've always been a huge TB303 fan and once Beatmaker integration is done, I'm on it. Have you guys seen or have any other cool music apps for Iphone?
By four eyes Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:33 am
when i first heard of it i thought it was a joke, but after seeing a video of it i was really impressed. its not too serious but for a 20 dollar app it is really impressive.

its no portable mpc but if it was slow at work or during my break i would def be messing with to get a rough draft of my beats going.

im not really an iphone guy but if i was i would def cop it. hopefully something like this will be released for the blackberry storm.
By Shadyrest59 Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:13 am
I hope they have something similar or even this app for the G1 later on in the year coming up.

I'm on T-Mobile and I'm not leaving just to get an iPhone, maybe an Itouch though. That could work.
By Destinite Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:37 am
Yeah, I use it on my iTouch. I don't need an iPhone.

As far as other great music apps, I only really use Beatmaker and Noise IO Pro, maybe MooCow's Pianist, but I rarely use that one. I wish there were some way to transfer samples other than wi-fi, too.
By Upright Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:49 am
Wow,.....just downloaded the app and messed around with it for about 10 minutes and I already made something nice!! I'm really impressed!! Has anyone dropped a track from Beatmaker into there DAW yet? This thing is a great scratchpad for ideas!! :D
By Shadyrest59 Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:53 pm
I don't know if it works that way.

I've checked out some youtube videos on people making beats with it. Looks dope. I'm trying to finagle an iPod Touch to get this app. I would really like to have something to make beats on while I'm on the train or bus or whatever I'm doing when I'm not on my MPC.

You can't beat it for $20