For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By jonestown massacre Tue May 05, 2009 3:37 pm
How can there be latency on the mpc?! You arent connected to any other device...Latency is a term used to describe the time between a sent message and a recieved message from one device to another. There is no latency in an mpc....period! Do you research, homie.
Last edited by jonestown massacre on Tue May 05, 2009 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Tracks Tue May 05, 2009 3:38 pm
emptysea wrote:
rokuez wrote:bye bye mpc HELLo latency!

:roll:
What's with all these ignorant remarks? There is no more latency with this than any usb midi controller. And if you think there's no latency on the MPC you're kidding yourself.

i have never had latency on my mpc, ever.
By emptysea Tue May 05, 2009 3:49 pm
jonestown massacre wrote:How can there be latency on the mpc?! You arent connected to any other device...Latency is a term used to describe the time between a sent message and a recieved message from one device to another. There is no latency in an mpc....period! Do you research, homie.

Sounds like you should do your own research, homie. Just to let you know there is a latency for everything that hits sound even the MPC. its hard to give an actual number for it, but all i know is it is less than 20ms. There is no such thing as "zero latency". Plus, latency is not even an issue here. Anything less than 20ms is unrecognizable by the human ear.
By Aerodynamic321 Tue May 05, 2009 3:51 pm
my take on it (haven't had a chance to try it) is it's worth messing around with. But even with the videos, everything seems very pre-packaged. I think one of the most valuable things in electronically based music, is the variety of equipment, forming different combinations of equipment, and pushing each tool as far as it can go. i don't think i'll ever (willingly) put my entire electronic instrument use, in the hands of one (computer)software-based tool. to me computer software seems to cheapen the quality of electronic music. its just too easy to get "perfect" sounds, which is great but not for me. i didn't buy the mpc because i just wanted to make perfectly mastered tracks with crisp clear samples from the start. i bought it because i wanted to learn the steps to taking sounds and altering them to make music. it seems like the maschine already does most of the work for you. i like to work.
By emptysea Tue May 05, 2009 3:52 pm
EducatedHands wrote:yeah this thing doesnt hold a candle to my mpc.

Care to elaborate?

TheFrozenOne wrote:i got my mpc to get away from the computer.

That's legit. Different strokes... But for many MPC users who are already integrating and syncing software to their MPC to produce, this is game changing. MPC alone doesn't hold a candle to Maschine in that regard.

Jaytim3 wrote:Isnt the maschine just a midi controller?
The same as MPD but it has more screens....

Goddamn people, can you read? I've already provided enough links and details in the first few post of this thread. Please stop the kneejerk "I'm afraid of change so I'll bash anything new that I don't understand" comments.
By emptysea Tue May 05, 2009 3:57 pm
Aerodynamic321 wrote: its just too easy to get "perfect" sounds, which is great but not for me. i didn't buy the mpc because i just wanted to make perfectly mastered tracks with crisp clear samples from the start. i bought it because i wanted to learn the steps to taking sounds and altering them to make music. it seems like the maschine already does most of the work for you. i like to work.

But it's a sampler so your point is kinda moot. You don't have to use any of the prepackaged sounds if you don't want to, just like with the MPC. It can record and resample just like a MPC, and it doesn't do any more work for you in that regard.
By jonestown massacre Tue May 05, 2009 4:07 pm
emptysea wrote:
jonestown massacre wrote:How can there be latency on the mpc?! You arent connected to any other device...Latency is a term used to describe the time between a sent message and a recieved message from one device to another. There is no latency in an mpc....period! Do you research, homie.

Sounds like you should do your own research, homie. Just to let you know there is a latency for everything that hits sound even the MPC. its hard to give an actual number for it, but all i know is it is less than 20ms. There is no such thing as "zero latency". Plus, latency is not even an issue here. Anything less than 20ms is unrecognizable by the human ear.

2) In a computer system, latency is often used to mean any delay or waiting that increases real or perceived response time beyond the response time desired.------>This is the MPC

1) In a network, latency, a synonym for delay, is an expression of how much time it takes for a packet of data to get from one designated point to another.
# Propagation: This is simply the time it takes for a packet to travel between one place and another at the speed of light.
# Transmission: The medium itself (whether optical fiber, wireless, or some other) introduces some delay. The size of the packet introduces delay in a round trip since a larger packet will take longer to receive and return than a short one.
# Router and other processing: Each gateway node takes time to examine and possibly change the header in a packet (for example, changing the hop count in the time-to-live field).------>This is the midi controller

If samples are truncated properly, the real/perceived response time is ZERO. I worked in telecom for almost 5 years, and dealt with latency every day. Trust me, the MP's latency is negligible. You cant compare latency in an mp to latency between 2 devices connected by a usb cable. Technically, the midi controller and computer are networked, and you are entering into a whole world of data transfer and packets of information. 2 completely different types of latency all together.
By Aerodynamic321 Tue May 05, 2009 4:10 pm
emptysea wrote:
Aerodynamic321 wrote: its just too easy to get "perfect" sounds, which is great but not for me. i didn't buy the mpc because i just wanted to make perfectly mastered tracks with crisp clear samples from the start. i bought it because i wanted to learn the steps to taking sounds and altering them to make music. it seems like the maschine already does most of the work for you. i like to work.

But it's a sampler so your point is kinda moot. You don't have to use any of the prepackaged sounds if you don't want to, just like with the MPC. It can record and resample just like a MPC, and it doesn't do any more work for you in that regard.

i realized. which is why i was reluctant. from a technical stand point, it is irrational.
but just know that the mpc (along with a few other hardware samplers) is teaching me things, exactly the way i want to learn them.
taking the long(er) road, basically
By mr_debauch Tue May 05, 2009 4:14 pm
after reading some of the posts I wonder why some of you are not just scrapping things like motifs all together to get a modular synth setup.
By MCL Tue May 05, 2009 4:25 pm
@emptysea

"Maschine's pads can play samples like a keyboard. APC40 can't. "

for info - from Akaipro.com:

The clip pads send MIDI notes so they can technically be played to play a synth or drum machine in Live.
By vibewithTy Tue May 05, 2009 6:15 pm
emptysea wrote:Goddamn people, can you read? I've already provided enough links and details in the first few post of this thread. Please stop the kneejerk "I'm afraid of change so I'll bash anything new that I don't understand" comments.

:lol: alot of cats take pride in doing things the hard way or following the same methods as their favorite producers. If you can't see the genius in this controller then you must not use software at all.

but i've heard there are very basic sampler functions that still haven't been added to the maschine. I think one of the owners already posted a list on here, Like timestretch for example and how it interacts with the DAW as a vst. any comments on that?

heres the post actually:
b-righteous wrote:Maschine is a nice concept but the software is missing some very basic features. There is no midi out and the midi in is limited. The midi out feature will be added in the future along with more sample formats but thats all that has been confirmed. I would wait before purchasing.

Here are more of the basic things that it is still missing.

Normalize
Snap to zero
truncate
time stretch
Zoom to start/ end marker
scrolling cursor
External wave editor tab
Slice to midi
ability to add and delete slice markers
at least 16 stereo audio outs vs. 8
full midi in and 16 channel out
midi and audio drag and drop in both directions.
Acidized, Apple loops, rex2 and battery cell support.
Groove quantize from midi templates.
Mute and solo groups
Mute and solo automation
Load kits to groups without overwriting pattern
metronome during record option
count in from stop