For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By JesseHolmz Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:04 pm
if i did go the ASR route, is there anything limiting when using it as a midi keyboard? i mean does it work with OS X, etc?

for just a midi keyboard, does anyone else have suggestions on what would be good?
By pcise77 Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:17 pm
well as far as limiting. you will only transmit notes ,pitch wheel and mod wheel. but yuo asked about the asr compatbility. as far as osx its a midi device so cpu dont matter. as far as other midi contollers a dedicated one might be better if all you want to do is control.
By JesseHolmz Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:22 pm
pcise77 wrote:well as far as limiting. you will only transmit notes ,pitch wheel and mod wheel. but yuo asked about the asr compatbility. as far as osx its a midi device so cpu dont matter. as far as other midi contollers a dedicated one might be better if all you want to do is control.

any recommendations on models?
By JesseHolmz Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:28 pm
pcise77 wrote:well what ya want ta pay? and what do you want to control?

i have a fairly decent budget. i would be using it on either reason or pro tools
By dabmeister Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:15 pm
JesseHolmz wrote:
pcise77 wrote:well what ya want ta pay? and what do you want to control?

i have a fairly decent budget. i would be using it on either reason or pro tools

We're still waiting on an answer. You only mentioned a daw program. Then there's the instrument plug-ins that'll need controlling within whatever workstation you go with. Having a more dedicated midi controller would seem to be a wiser move than investing in a asr10 at this point.

Grab the controller first, then when you've got your feet planted solid enough and you're comfortable with whats going on, grab the asr.

roland a-800 midi controller
By JesseHolmz Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:03 pm
i think the only solution is to get both.

that roland midi keyboard looks nice... anyone else have anything good to say about it?
By strongocho Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:32 am
By pcise77 Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:42 pm
alright well the asr 10 is a beast. i lv the thing and you can use it as a contoller if you want. just dont use the seq in it and when you hook it up the mpc turn the local midi in the asr 10 off that way you seperate the asr key board from the sound mod in it. and who cars about the keys and it getting rare. it sould be played and keys can be fixed. plus it ca be triggered by the mpc if ya want to fire off some drum sounds. when you turn local off send the out of the asr to the in of the mpc then out the mpc to the in of the asr. then you can use it as a master keyboard as well as seq thw asr with the mpc.

I know this is a decade old thread, but you answered the question I came here with. I have an MPC and a great midi keyboard (keylab pro 61), but i just picked up an asr10 and do not have space for another keyboard. I was hoping to replace my keylab with the asr10 as my main board, but was afraid I wouldn't be able to play it as a keyboard without triggering samples. Knowing you can turn local off when you just want to play with the keyboard into the MPC made my day. Thank you so much!!! I saw that you can sequence each instrument of the asr10 on different channels through the MPC as well, and wheels are already turning in my head how to set this up with the MPC and ASR as the center of my studio controlling everything. Looks like I am about to put the keylab up for sale hahaha.