For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.

By Expert Witness Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:26 pm
MattMatiks PG wrote:Then I can just choose the sounds I want and copy them to the clipboard... The MPC is very similar, but I find that the 505 is more organized in that vein... Wouldn't you agree Expert Witness...

no doubt. no wasting time naming things. its like dominos, all in a row.
to answer another ?, I do use the 2000xl for sequencing. it takes no time to sample out of the sp 505's headphone jack (1/4 inch) to one of the mpc's inputs. so all my samples live in the sp and then are sampled in to the mpc.
and on another ?, I was at guitar center the other day and they had lowered the price on the 505 to $365. must be lowering the price before the sp 606 drops.
spent lots of hours this past weekend chopping drums in the sp.

By RonDu Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:53 pm
This Sat this alternative group was opening for KRS-1. The singer was giggin' w/2 505's, a drummer and a guitarist. That sh*t was dope. I never seen no sh*t like that before. Everything was done on the fly and the effects were crazy. Good piece of equipment

By Science Mon Aug 09, 2004 5:30 pm
i was peepin the 505 at one point, i must say it does look slick, the chop function is cool. iwould use them both in conjunction (with thw mpc)

By MattMatiks PG Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:18 pm
Yea Automato has a live set up like that... They use a Rhodes Piano and a sh*tty Casio in conjunction with a live bass player, drums, and guitar.... They also had a Korg Kaoss Pad on stage and another thign I forgot what it was... They did a show here a while ago with RJD2 and Diverse... Really killer set...
By Headphones Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:37 am
My SP505 is kind of damaged at the moment. The RCA inputs got pulled apart, so it's going to cost me $100 to get fixed. I did find a work around.

If I use a stereo to mono converter plug I got from RadioShack, and stick it in the mic input, I can sample with no problem, but I find the input signal is hotter, so I back off the input volume more than I would.

I can't sell this sampler for something else. It's my FX box, chopper, and I've had it for years. I would love to pair it up with a 303 or 404, but for now I'm using it with a Zoom ST224. I can sample on the lowest setting on one, and then downgrade it further to the other. So they make a good team.
By The Jackal Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:09 am
you are quite the thread necromancer

things i like about my 505: resampling, some cool effects like lo-fi bit reducer & vinyl simulator, you can actually route audio into it and use it as an effects box, no need to save because everything goes right onto the drive or SD cards or whatever it is, clipboard function can make it pretty easy to move samples around

things i don't like: editing sample lengths/start & end points is a pain, shitty RCA outputs/inputs, poor MIDI implementation

it's mostly a pretty good machine and one i use as a stand-alone unit i.e. i have it paired with my SP 202 and a Casio SK-1 and i make beats with just those machines, bouncing things back n' forth until i have some bars on the 505 i can play around with. but not really a piece of gear i'd integrate into the rest of my studio because i feel it has too many shortcomings for more serious use. definitely fun as hell to sit around on the couch with. i think it definitely shines in it's ability to resample and bounce audio around.
By Ill-Green Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:59 pm
Headphones wrote:My SP505 is kind of damaged at the moment. The RCA inputs got pulled apart, so it's going to cost me $100 to get fixed. I did find a work around.

If I use a stereo to mono converter plug I got from RadioShack, and stick it in the mic input, I can sample with no problem, but I find the input signal is hotter, so I back off the input volume more than I would.

I can't sell this sampler for something else. It's my FX box, chopper, and I've had it for years. I would love to pair it up with a 303 or 404, but for now I'm using it with a Zoom ST224. I can sample on the lowest setting on one, and then downgrade it further to the other. So they make a good team.

I'm still thinking about it, but I might sell my SP606, its mint and the last SP in my collection for I sold off the whole family except for the 303. I like the 606, not like the 505, two different beasts. Its samples off the USB like its 1/4 inputs. And its quieter than the 505. No white noise at all.

If you really need it, let me know, but its different than the 505, same SP operations but different in features.