For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By cwhiley Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:10 am
I joined this forum just to ask about my newly acquired MG614. I rescued it from a garage in Oklahoma but I had to pay a little for it. (225) It was untested. Good news is the mixer works perfectly save for a few scratchy pots.

I started using it right away as a submixer for a part of a ridiculous synth studio...stuck 6 outs from a digital Novation Supernova into it and utilized both sends and returns with some outboard fx.

The bad and almost unexpected news is that the cassette mechanism is pretty trashed. But its all there. The little hinges that help guide it down are broken so it takes a lot of work to get a tape in and out. Open and closes automatically fine without a tape in it. It played a couple of times but now doesn't at all but I hear the motors running. Not sure if its normal but the capstan never stops. It runs constantly no matter what as soon as I turn on power. The eject and head motor carriage seems to be working. Fast forward and rewind engage but are not working but I hear the motors spin up. Lastly I cannot get record to engage at all. The light will not come on.

I have taken the metal top off of it and looked and I haven't gone any farther and cannot quite tell how hard it is to remove the tape assembly as a whole. Does it require a total tear down to remove the assembly? The reason I ask is I have a friend in Mexico that could repair it but its only possible if I could remove just the tape assembly, have him repair it, and mail it back as shipping the entire unit and back to Mexico will just cost too much.

It works great as a mixer. I'm hesitant to aggressively try to fix it because I'm afraid I'll go from a cool mixer with a broken tape recorder to a totally broken thing fairly easily. :)

Thanks.
By Daniel Sound & Security Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:55 pm
Ottomatic wrote:
Ottomatic wrote:Anybody need/want photos of the inside of an Akai MG614? I'm in the process of installing a spare "Mecha Block" (as Akai calls it) as well as a tape sync board into one of my MG614s. I took some photos for reference so that way I know where all the internal cables go. If anybody wants me to post them let me know. I haven't seen any other photos of the inside of an MG614 anywhere on the internet yet. Also if anybody has a PDF copy of the service manual for the MG614 I'd really be interested in a copy.

I finally got the MG614 reassembled. That thing is like a jigsaw puzzle from hell. It makes dismantling and reassembling MPCs seem like putting together Duplo Blocks or Lincoln Logs in comparison. (At least it seemed that way from my perspective). There are so many PIN/ribbon cables in hard to reach places most of which are bundled together with zip ties.

The only quirk I've noticed with it so far is that when I press play the machine will freeze and not respond to any other buttons including stop or eject and the capstans will keep rotating the tape but there won't be any sound from the tape. The only way to stop the tape is to turn the unit off. However I noticed that if I press rewind or fast forward and then immediately press play after pressing one of those two buttons the tape will play just fine; sound and all as well as responding to the stop and eject buttons. Has anyone else experienced this problem with their MG614? I had the exact same problem with my other MG614 that I took the tape/mecha block out of. Since I've had this problem in two separate MG614s with the same tape/mecha block I'm assuming that the issue is with the tape/mecha block and not the rest of the MG614. As far as I can tell the pinch roller, motors, tape heads and belt all seem to be okay and in good shape.

Anyone solve this issue? I'm having the same problem and its got me stumped!