For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By AKAI-47 Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:26 pm
Retro Styles wrote:
forknspoon wrote:
Retro Styles wrote:I'm a bit intresti[img]ng to purchase an MG614 but can anyone explain me the workflow and how can I record and mix the 8 channels (at least) of the mpc in the 4 track

submix and being creative

Can you explain that a little...pleaseee

So, basically you want to mix the 8 outs from the Akai MPC via the MG614, yeah?

Well, for a start you have six inputs and faders on the console, so just plug them in. Then plug the other two inputs in via the RCAs on the Aux buss, and access them via the Buss faders. You now have 8 inputs at your disposal, granted two of them are not on the main channels, but it could be argued that you already have a main stereo out that has already been mixed in the box of the MPC?

I think that would effectively give you eight inputs/faders, but I might be wrong.

Edit: I might be totally wrong coz I am away from my machine, but I think that you would have the six faders/inputs on the main channels, and one STEREO input via the bus channel coming in from the aux bus. So you would have six individual faders for six tracks, plus one fader controlling the stereo aux bus.

It is doable, that is all I know, but not with 8 channels of eqs and all the rest. One channel will just be a straight stereo feed. This is an 8 channel mixer, but with limits.
By AKAI-47 Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:38 pm
Btw, I don't know if I mentioned this, but I still have some old (only used once) MG1212/1214 cartridges. I am still digging them out. I would be happy to see them go to a good home as I have no use for them any more.

A trade for something here or there might be nice too, to say thanks, but I'm not looking for money. I'll put up a post when I find them.
By Clint Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:57 am
Retro Styles wrote:I'm a bit intresting to purchase an MG614 but can anyone explain me the workflow and how can I record and mix the 8 channels (at least) of the mpc in the 4 track

You can use this mixer in many different ways, but if you make use of the 6 channel mixer, 4 track recorder, bouncing tracks, the 6 channel inserts, the 2 FX send/returns, aux inputs and 4 direct track outputs, the MG614 its an ideal partner for any MPC or sampler.

Just buy one, and worry about the routing options afterwards. How does the old saying go, "never look a gift horse in the mouth". Fundamentally, its a sound investment, and a lot of fun to work within its limitations.
By Medisin Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:37 pm
whats another alternative like this recorder?

i have never recorded anything ive made from my mpc, and would like to.

i dont want to do it in my computer, i have an imac but still that would require software and an interface.

id rather get something that i could put my hands on, what options is there in terms of hardware preferably something under 400.

thanks.
By Funkologist Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:40 am
Medisin wrote:whats another alternative like this recorder?

i have never recorded anything ive made from my mpc, and would like to.

i dont want to do it in my computer, i have an imac but still that would require software and an interface.

id rather get something that i could put my hands on, what options is there in terms of hardware preferably something under 400.

thanks.

Tascam 246 - I use one of these, great machine :nod: 8)
These can be had for pretty cheap if you look hard enough (got mine for $35) though more times than not they will need a belt replacement and maybe pinch roller which isn't very hard to do. There's many more portastudio models out there but the 246 is the (king) one most similar to the Akai MG614.

There's also its little brother the 244

Peace :smoker:
By forknspoon Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:50 am
I also have a Fostex 380S,

Nice machine, mine requires a little bit of repairs nothing major (record arm) but it has a nice sound to it.

I found mine for $15 at a garage sale so I'm not complaining.

edit: those TASCAM one mentioned above are gully as shet, if you can pick one of those up do it
By jibber Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:50 am
Here in switzerland, 150-250 bucks.