For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By NavNek Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:35 pm
Been browsing through a lot of topics to get my problem fixed.

I have a samson s patch plus patchbay

I want the follwing

Turntable ->dj mixer->Soundcraft m8 mixer

from Soundcraft mixer through direct outs to patchbay (top plugs on the back)

I want to send the signal from the turntable->dj mixer-> soundcraft mixer to the following pieces of equipment to record the audio:

- MPC
- S950
- SP404
- Laptop with Apogee Duet

Half normal is the setting in which it could split the signal to send it out to different devices (right?)
How can i make it happen to send the signal from the turntable to all the devices (so i don't have to switch cables everytime I feel like switings gear)

Thanks
By terry towelling Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:33 pm
"How can i make it happen to send the signal from the turntable to all the devices (so i don't have to switch cables everytime I feel like switings gear)"

you have to switch cables. that's the whole point of the patchbay. you change the cabling on the front of the patchbay to send the turntable signal to ONE sampler at a time. take the

if you're asking how to hookup your mixer to your patchbay and equipment then look at the manuals for your mixer and patchbay. or, go at the mackie site. it has plenty of hook up diagrams.

how many busses does your mixer have? if it has enough busses to give each sampler a buss, then use that to send the turntable signal to your samplers and skip the patchbay. if you use busses then you can send the signal to more than one sampler at the same time.
By tapedeck Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:26 am
yea the point of a patchbay is to switch cables.

one option is to plug each piece of gear into the mixer, then plug the aux sends (there are 4 of them), 1 into each sampler you want.

then use the aux sends to send to any combination of mixers.
this will all be mono only - you need to get really creative to do it in stereo.

watch out for feedback loops.

i would not personally recommend this setup, but that is one way to do it. :mrgreen:
By terry towelling Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:20 pm
OK, i was just looking at my patchtbay and samplers. i realised i didn't say very much practical before. sorry.
i think this might be more useful..

-the outs from the samplers and (any other instruments) to inputs (channel strips) on the mixer.

-the inputs from your samplers connected to the bottom row of the patchbay

-the output of the dj mixer into other mixer, out from that channel into the top row of the patchbay.
or
-the output of the dj mixer into the top row of the patchbay.

-on the patchbay, run two cables from the turntables into whichever sampler you choose.

that shit is going to rock. nice set up! patchbays are so flexible. so quick to use and get great results.

you might also be able to patch from the samplers output on the mixer back into the patchbay. i don't know the mixer.
By jonestown massacre Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:44 pm
You can def set up the patchbay so that in typical operation, you don't need to use patch cables. Depends on how the patchbay is normalled.

Check tweakheadz.com for their "how to setup a patchbay". Lots of good info there.

I used to have a neutrik patchbay, would only use patch cables to feed my different samplers...Typically all outs were feeding my interface through the patchbay, with no cables)
By Snappy Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:33 pm
If you had the dj mixer plugged into the patch bay top and then the bottom going to the soundcraft on half normal you will get another output of your dj mixer .
Then you can take the direct out from soundcraft back to you patchbay top with the bottom going to a sampler on half normal which will give you another duplicate .
You can also take the inserts from the soundcraft to you patchbay with insert leads to give you another copy of the output. Don't have the monitor option on when sampling.
Your soundcraft also has a mono sum which is great for sampling and the aux sends but you will probably find the aux signal is quieter .
Your patchbay is very flexible and I use two of them for a similar reason. You can also use adapters plugging into the front of the patchbay giving you another duplicate of the signal goin to where ever you chose.
By tapedeck Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:43 pm
won't the half-normalling reduce the signal strength? is it a patchbay / amp?

consider that too.

or yea get used to plugging in cables, its not bad, as we've said that's where patchbays really help.
By NavNek Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:48 pm
Thanks everyone for your responses!

Im at the point where i have my turntable through dj mixer & soundcraft connected to the top on the back of the patchbay. On the bottom row of where i connected my turntable i have sampler 1. Sampler 2 connected on two inputs on the lower back of the patchbay that sits besides sampler 1.
I know can feed both samplers, on 'half normal' with two patchcables connected on the front.

I don't think it's possible to feed more than two samplers this way without patching cables, right? (CC Jonestown massacre)

I haven't really dug in to the inserts on the soundcraft table, will do that very shortly.

Any other tips or am I good to go as far as the possibilities of a patchbay go?

Thanks again!
By MoorThenMusic® Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:47 pm
Peace. The way I have my PB set to feed four sampler REC ins...
I bought a Mackie HM4
Fed the input of the HM4 from my Sample source using a Y cable (the HM4 has a balanced TRS input, with four TRS outs)
Fed the outputs to the top rear of a PB using four Insert cables
PB is set to Half Norm
Sampler inputs are connected to the bottom rear using 8 patch points (Left and Right of each sampler)