For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By Retro Styles Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:37 am
Hey guys,

Well I have an mpc 2k classic, it's sounds ok but I want to try something 12 bit, so I'm between an s950/s900 and sequence it with the 2k or an mpc 60 which is sampler/sequencer combo.
The main consideration is the workflow.
Which of them is more fast. The 2k/s9xx combo or the mpc 60 standalone?
I know about the memory, filters difference in sampling engines, converters, etc etc, those aren't any of my problems.
Any post/advice is welcomed.
Thanks in advance.
By Wal Martian Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:56 pm
I actually don't edit sounds in the s900, it's all number based where the 2K shows the waveform. I put my s900 low in my rack and use a foot pedal to get the sounds in, then I resample them into the 2K. I just don't like the workflow sequencing direct from the s900, though some people swear by it.
By Harmoncj Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:41 pm
I find it a lot easier to edit sounds on s950 than the 2k. there's a lot of reasons you get used to it real quick. I guess the main one is on 2k you can only pitch down 1 octave while editing a sample. on the s900/950 you can slow the sample down 2 or 3 octaves lower to really get the exact start point if you want to.
By peterpiper Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:57 pm
I also have the 2k/s950 combo. I can't tell you how the workflow on a MPC60 is cause i never worked on it but with the 950 you can get a very fast workflow. Especially when you use a program templates and the SPACE button (which switches between the before and the now menu/parameter).
This means that you probably have to change workflow from :
Edit sample start then sample end point of a sample and then go to next sample and change start and end there
to this workflow :
Edit sample start of all samples first, then edit sample end of all samples

Another plus on the s950 is that you can change sample start or end points while the sequence is running. This is very handy when you already sequenced something but it is a bit off and the sample start might need a bit more air in front or there is too much air and it doesn't sit on point.

Retro Styles wrote: Can't the s900 play a sound with a comand key or something else as one shot? The only option is an mpc to trigger the sound?
Too much questions...

You can play the sample on the 950 with the P.B button (playback) but I never use this function because my 2000 is right in front of the 950 and IMO it feels much better to trigger it with a pad on the 2000. I also have direct contol of the pitch of the sample. For example: When I set the start point of a sample I use PAD1 on Bank D on the 2000 which triiger the sample 3 octaves lower. The PAD2 on Bank D trigger the sample with normal pitch (how it was sampled). With that I can quickly set start points and check if its set tight with PAD1 and also sound good(no it does not always goes hand in hand) with PAD2.

peace
Last edited by peterpiper on Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Retro Styles Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:04 pm
Harmoncj wrote:I find it a lot easier to edit sounds on s950 than the 2k. there's a lot of reasons you get used to it real quick. I guess the main one is on 2k you can only pitch down 1 octave while editing a sample. on the s900/950 you can slow the sample down 2 or 3 octaves lower to really get the exact start point if you want to.

I see. I think the editing isn't as fast as it is in 2k or the 60 though.
Does It deserve more time?
By Harmoncj Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:39 am
Retro Styles wrote:I see. I think the editing isn't as fast as it is in 2k or the 60 though.
Does It deserve more time?

I think editing is definitely faster on the s900/s950, for all the reasons peterpiper pointed out. the question is at the end of the day maybe it's more convenient to keep everything in the same disk. I would be tempted to ditch all my shit for an MPC3000 with internal SCSI option.
By Harmoncj Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:22 am
Retro Styles wrote:One quick question
At the mpc I can adjust each sample's pan, If I trigger the s9xx with the mpc, I will be able to do that?

s900/950 need a separate 8channel mixer to stereo mix.