For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.

By Dynamis Tue Nov 26, 2002 11:04 pm
OK, heres the deal, I need some advise on getting together a lil home setup...

At the moment the only hardware I got is my mixer... what Im planning on getting is MPC2000xl, decent condenser mic, midi keyboard.....

ok, my question is should I get a stand alone multi track recorder (Im looking at a tascam 8 track at the moment), or should I instead invest a lil more in my pc (extra memory, decent soundcard etc) and just use the PC to record?...

Heres what I see as the Pros & cons of whether I should go multi track, or stick with pc...

Pros of multi track: NO latency issues, portable , dope quality, 'hands on' (i.e not having to struggle with mouse on virtual dials when tryin to make minor adjustements)
Cons of multitrack: Expensive, not as many effects as on PC (i.e I have loads of VST plug ins), Not as many actual tracks as PC sequencer.

OK, also regardless of whether I stick with using Cubase to record, or get multitrack, Im also wanting to get some kinda hardware for mastering (I dont really like mastering software), any suggestions on something can get on a budget? (so dont even bother telling me mackie )..... someone please holla back[/color]

By Kenfen Wed Nov 27, 2002 3:31 pm
I'd vote for PC but that's just me.

I'd say that your cons for the PC would be a non issue with the right computer and soundcard. The new computers are up to the task. I have a laptop and desktop and it's latency is affected by the soundcard.

I have a Delta 1010 on the Desktop so latency is a non issue with the WDM drivers on Windows XP. Works great.

My laptop would be cooler if I had a nice card for it, but I'm amazed with the quality from just the cheap onboard soundcard. I don't really need it since I do all the serious work on the desktop and just copy it over to the laptop.

My Desktop is portable, I have a good case and I haul it all around. No worries. I even haul the monitor to the studio. It's no big deal for me.

The big Pro for me on the computer is that I can see what I'm working on a whole lot better. I'm very used to the mouse, too.

For me, the computer is more flexible and an all in one kinda deal, I can record edit master mix, etc etc....

As for mastering, you mean some high end tube gear to run your mixes through? Or an all in one little deal....?

Have you looked at T Racks? sounds great, IMHO, I like it and it's a fraction of the cost of rack gear.

Just my thoughts,

Kenfen[/color]