For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By bigguccimama Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:14 pm
just purchased an mt50 4 track cassette recorder, was wondering if im able to use type 1 types or if it strictly has to be type 2.
Not too fussed about quality just yet.
By CharlesRandolph Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:09 pm
bigguccimama wrote:just purchased an mt50 4 track cassette recorder, was wondering if im able to use type 1 types or if it strictly has to be type 2.
Not too fussed about quality just yet.

C46–90 cassette (Type II High Bias 70 µs EQ)
By 6/8 Stanley Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:59 am
I don't know about type 1 vs type 2, but from using a Portastudio in the 90's I know you need the best (mechanical) quality tapes you can find. Usually that's the most expensive, but I'd get those even if I was broke. Otherwise all the reverse/fast forward/stop and go that happens when 4-tracking is almost guaranteed to turn a cheap cassette into a tangled mess.
By CharlesRandolph Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:35 am
bigguccimama wrote:will this work?
https://www.thomannmusic.no/atr_magneti ... BQQAvD_BwE

From the manual.

Choosing Cassette TapesFor best performance use high-quality Type II (High Bias 70 μs EQ) chrome cassettes of 90 minutes or less, such as TDK SA, Maxell UD-XLII, and Sony UX-S. Do not use metal tapes or 120 minute tapes. At normal speed a 60-minute cassette provides about 15 minutes of recording time. That’s because the tape runs at twice the speed of a standard cassette recorder and you use only side A