For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By Ill-Green Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:42 pm
Monotremata wrote:The reverse winding/reversed pole is for hum cancelling.. Its running the two pickups in parallel that boosts the output and will give it a big fat stacked humbucker sound. Gotta watch the polarity though, you cant do it with a normal wound pickup. About 25 years ago, Duncan's instructions for installing their humbuckers left out this little fact that if you put them in a Fender guitar you have to reverse the wires in it. Of course nowadays that info is right there in the instructions and on their website but my Strat's position 4 (the bridge and middle pickup) has been out of phase ever since I installed it haha. I just left it that way cause its kind of a neat effect if I need it. Its not like I ever use anything but the bridge pickups anyways. My Telecaster might as well have been an Esquire, I still might actually screw the neck pickup all the way down and just put an Esquire pick guard over the top of it.

Ah gotcha. So parallel is for the fat sound. Not in series. Do you think the pickup can be modded simply by inverting the magnets and changing the (+) wire to ground and vice versa?

Yeah man, to this day, I don't think there is a perfect formula. Look at Gibson and how many times they tried to evolve the electric guitar but end up going back to the 50's.
By Monotremata Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:56 pm
Ill-Green wrote:Ah gotcha. So parallel is for the fat sound. Not in series. Do you think the pickup can be modded simply by inverting the magnets and changing the (+) wire to ground and vice versa?

Yeah man, to this day, I don't think there is a perfect formula. Look at Gibson and how many times they tried to evolve the electric guitar but end up going back to the 50's.

Thats a good question. I wonder if you just flipped the pickup around if that would work. Ill have to ask, I have a couple friends that do this for a living, pretty sure my buddy is even getting his own custom pickups made for his guitar line Dunable.

Man after all these years and Gibson STILL hasn't fixed their stupid weak as hell headstock joint. Les Pauls and SGs snap so easy when theyre accidentally knocked over hah. I see more Les Pauls for sale with repaired headstocks in LA than I do without.