For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By Sense-A Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:30 pm
Why, though?

Why would behringer clone an mpc 4000? You can still buy MPC 4000's for roughly $750 or even cheaper if it is beat up and needs some repairs (bad display, bad knobs or buttons, no expansions).

Also, behringer has never developed a very sophisticated operating system.

I don't think it would be profitable for them. Akai does it well. Roland can do it. Maschine. etc.

I also doubt that behringer could do much better than ISLA is doing with the SP-2400, other than possibly get economies of scale and be able to mass produce them cheaper.

I prefer that Behringer continue to reproduce clones for music production gear that is more ancient, harder to get, unobtainable because of price, etc.
By mr_debauch Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:00 pm
now they do have some sophisticated operating systems under their belt... they did the deep mind 12, the wing, and some other digital desks. the question is will they bother making some kind of master sequencer for all the other stuff they been making?
By richie Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:00 am
I have some leaked documents from Behringer and found that they have already manufactured the motherboards for their Akai S2000 clone.

Everyone knows that the Akai S2000 is the most sought after rack sampler in the world.
By NearTao Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:18 am
The s2000 is the most sought after? I guess my taste in samplers is bad. Now I have buyers remorse :lol:

"A popular budget spinoff sample module from more expensive models S-3000 / S-3000XL with smaller display and lacking some functions. Today S2000 is considered quite obsolete and maybe one of the most hated sampler in the world! Let's see why!" http://www.polynominal.com/akai-s2000/index.html
By richie Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:09 pm
NearTao wrote:The s2000 is the most sought after? I guess my taste in samplers is bad. Now I have buyers remorse :lol:

"A popular budget spinoff sample module from more expensive models S-3000 / S-3000XL with smaller display and lacking some functions. Today S2000 is considered quite obsolete and maybe one of the most hated sampler in the world! Let's see why!" http://www.polynominal.com/akai-s2000/index.html

The S2000 sounds more lo-fi than the S3000XL because it doesn't have a big screen on it. It allows you to make more soulful music and synth sounds have more harmonics when pitching down.
By richie Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:15 pm
peterpiper wrote:Hated it from the first time I saw it back when it came out. I just looked at that jogwheel and thought GTFO.

peace

But what about being soulful and harmonics. The S2000 is highly sought after, I regularly sell them for $650 USD.

I also traded one back in Februrary for an SP-1200.
By peterpiper Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:26 pm
richie wrote:
peterpiper wrote:Hated it from the first time I saw it back when it came out. I just looked at that jogwheel and thought GTFO.

peace

But what about being soulful and harmonics. The S2000 is highly sought after, I regularly sell them for $650 USD.

I also traded one back in Februrary for an SP-1200.

NOW we're talking about a good deal, and being 'soulful' :) The SP have a tiny display too but the handling of that sampler is sooo damn nice. The s2000 on the other hand is just a beige box with ugly jogwheel and a way too small display for it's functions. TBH I can't really remember how it sounds (a friend of mine had one to produce Techno/House)

I should try to make a business out of it (trading s2000 for SP1200)

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Akai-S2000-Midi ... 7675.l2557

https://www.ebay.de/itm/AKAI-S2000-Samp ... 7675.l2557

I should at least have buy this for the Flash ROM. My MPC2000 would have liked.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/AKAI-S2000-Samp ... 7675.l2557
By richie Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:21 pm
peterpiper wrote:NOW we're talking about a good deal, and being 'soulful' :) The SP have a tiny display too but the handling of that sampler is sooo damn nice. The s2000 on the other hand is just a beige box with ugly jogwheel and a way too small display for it's functions. TBH I can't really remember how it sounds (a friend of mine had one to produce Techno/House)

I should try to make a business out of it (trading s2000 for SP1200)

I should at least have buy this for the Flash ROM. My MPC2000 would have liked.

Not really much of a point for the Flash ROM for the MPC 2000 when the SCSI2SD is cheaper. Btw, the Flashrom board was cloned last year, that Italian DOPESHT ONLY was selling them for like 200 Euros which is a lot to pay for what little options it enables other than say, having OS 1.72 saved to it for auto boot. Which can be done with any ext SCSI device as well right.

The S2000 sounds the same as the S3000XL / MPC 2000 honestly.
By Monotremata Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:47 pm
richie wrote:The S2000 sounds the same as the S3000XL / MPC 2000 honestly.

I think the S2000 has the same engine as the MPC2000XL. I bought mine brand new from Sam Ash (maybe it was Musicians Friend) in like 2001/2002 when they were blowing them out for $150. Not too bad but my EMU was still #1. I sold it for twice what I paid for it heh.
By NearTao Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:08 pm
64hz wrote:Isn't the s950 the most sought after?

Maybe... the 900 is pretty expensive too.

There are also a lot of clowns out there trying to drive the price up on this gear. Somebody is trying to sell the Z8 for $1500 on eBay... or at least was... and I just picked one up for $200 last year. No I/O card, and not about to drop $400 or so that bozos are asking for the 8 I/O card these days.