For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By Ahaucenan Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:13 pm
Hey all! So recently I have gotten a sudden urge to get a chorus pedal, but I have no knowledge on the different brands that are out there. I tried a BOSS super chorus in a store but the amp they had set up for trying sounded bad so I didn't really get a good taste of the pedal. I'm located in Dubai, U.A.E. My budget is around 50 to a $100, definitely going USED. My gear- PRS mark tremonti SE > rat 2 > Laney cub12r (would the chorus go after the rat or in the fx loop?)

Some of the options in the local used market

1) mxr anolog chorus:- $87
2) Corona chorus:- $109
3) Stranger chorus:- $27
4) Electric mistress:- $68

I don't really have an option to try them in the local shops as most of them don't supply most of these pedals, if any one you guys have positive/negative experiences with these pedals do let me know. I mostly play classic and thrash metal, but i feel my cleans are missing something and I have always loved the sound of clean arpeggios going through a chorus and subtle delay.
By vout Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:33 pm
There are loads of good chorus pedals out there - can't go wrong with a Boss chorus, but one of my favourites is the EHX (digital) Stereo Electric Mistress. It's a combined Flanger and Chorus and it sounds really good with a huge range of sounds. Note the original analogue Electric Mistress is a Flanger only.
By 6/8 Stanley Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:04 am
Trying them yourself is best. If not possible read the specs and reviews. Maybe digital ones have better wild sounds and analog better mild. True bypass is good in a pedalboard chain. I had a cheap used digital Nobels from the 90's, it was noisy so I tried some others. Then bought a N.O.S. Nobels in original box from UK a year ago, sounds fine. I leave it on mild but it will get crazy if I want. Heard a very smooth analog chorus for Gilmore sounds but it costs 6 times as much as my Nobels did. Maybe someday.

My board goes to chorus first (it's usually off), then modded big muff clone, then delay, then reverb, then to a dual-tube overdrive, and to small tube amp. All analog except the chorus. Considering just the first 4 pedals, there are 4x3x2=24 different ways to hook it up, but I'm not messing with it. I agree a little chorus sounds good on clean.
By Sense-A Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:43 pm
You best bang for the buck for Chorus and Reverb is the Zoom MS-70CDR. The shimmer reverb sounds beautiful with my synthesizers. https://zoom-na.com/products/effects-pr ... verb-pedal They go used for under $100 and model lots of other pedals and sound great. Stereo inputs and outputs! Zoom makes lots of great bargain effects pedals and racks.

If money is no concern, then drop the doe on the Strymon Ola (and Big Sky for reverb) https://www.strymon.net/products/ola/.

Eventide is also a premium brand for chorus/reverb effects.

If you have a tight budget, try the mini pedal clones. They go for about $30-$40 each and clone more expensive brands. Or shop your local ads (craigslist, etc.) and see what people are selling locally. You save by eliminating shipping and taxes and meet other local musicians.
By The Jackal Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:46 am
If you have a limited selection of pedals to choose from or they're hard to come by in your area, a good delay pedal can give you chorus & flange too depending on it's delay times & modulation capabilities.

I'm personally on the lookout for a chorus pedal myself that just does chorus and I've been leaning towards an older Boss CE series.
By Beats_me Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:55 pm
Boss Waza series, or a retro sonic chorus will give you that classic 90s sound
By Cockdiesel Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:53 pm
+1 on the boss waza series. The dimension d is spot on and actually less noisey than the original I had. Looking at the CE series one next.

Thinking it’ll sit nice with a moog delay and phaser. The dimension works great on the stereo side of things even after Reverb’s and such.
By Metatron72 Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:29 pm
Massive Disclaimer: I don't play guitar, but I am a pedal addict.

These are all excellent suggestions, Wazacraft or MiJ vintage Boss are sure shots. The Moog MF-105M is amazing but the few out there sit unsold for $650-900, so I'll add a few with a bit of character but could totally be your general purpose chorus.

http://www.idiotboxeffects.com/product/ ... cho-chorus

Dark Waves is spot on for that Cure/Cocteau Twins/Sisters of Mercy/Joy Division sound. But goes brighter too and can do the Andy Summers thing and more typical 80s pop. But main voicing remit is hinted by the Dark Waves name,

https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... ox+korembi

Like all they do sounds like a lost piece from 1976-1982.

https://www.walrusaudio.com/products/ju ... vibrato-v2

Character and mod warble as well as typical duties, a classic and just updated with top mounted jacks and new art.

Prices are a bit more than the stated budget, and TC really does nice stuff in the $89-150 tier.
Dark Waves is $129 ad seasonal sales run. The 3/23 expiring 25% off may still be active.

Korembi would be $168 when caught for 15% off, Julia about the same though there's even more v1 units out there after v2 released. Around $150 average currently on Reverb .com.