For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By Boombude Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:37 am
Hey guys,

So I am a bit curious about Audio Interfaces due to I am not very long into music production.

I got my Mpc Live routed to a Phonic AM 105FX Mixer and after the Mixer I am going into a Swisssonic 2x2 Interface. I know it sounds really silly, I have a 1000 Dollar Audio Interface within the Mpc Live and routing it to a 50 Dollar Interface...

The reason I am doing this is, that I love using my DAW or Computer at the same time, while I am using the Mpc in standalone. I don't like the MPC software, so I am playing some chords in my DAW through a plug in, and getting the wav via USB Stick to the Mpc.

Now my question is, does the cheap A-Interface degrade my sound quality? Would a more expensive Interface make my mixing and mastering process easier for me? I am thinking about an Audient Interface, cause they got good reviews and they got a good price?

Does it make sense to replace the Swisssonic and which Audio Interface are you using for the Mpc?

Thanks guys, Have fun!
By CharlesRandolph Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:40 am
Hard Truth: Phonic AM 105FX Mixer and Swisssonic 2x2 Interface is not going to cut it. :shock: Get a mixer that also functions as an audio interface/control surface. Check out Allen & Heath Qu-16 or something similar.

Master the gear first. :nod:

Boombude wrote:Hey guys,

So I am a bit curious about Audio Interfaces due to I am not very long into music production.

I got my Mpc Live routed to a Phonic AM 105FX Mixer and after the Mixer I am going into a Swisssonic 2x2 Interface. I know it sounds really silly, I have a 1000 Dollar Audio Interface within the Mpc Live and routing it to a 50 Dollar Interface...

The reason I am doing this is, that I love using my DAW or Computer at the same time, while I am using the Mpc in standalone. I don't like the MPC software, so I am playing some chords in my DAW through a plug in, and getting the wav via USB Stick to the Mpc.

Now my question is, does the cheap A-Interface degrade my sound quality? Would a more expensive Interface make my mixing and mastering process easier for me? I am thinking about an Audient Interface, cause they got good reviews and they got a good price?

Does it make sense to replace the Swisssonic and which Audio Interface are you using for the Mpc?

Thanks guys, Have fun!
By terry towelling Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:06 am
You could get an audio interface with multiple inputs/ outputs and skip the mixer

Audio interfaces seem to be selling for really low prices second hand. For example, the motu ultra lite Mk3 looks really good. Just check that whatever you buy is compatible with your computer.
By Lampdog Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:40 am
Chose this in part because I don’t care about kobs and faders on a mixer. Onscreen is fine with me. Also many audio interfaces come with ios apps. Bluetooth or wifi control.

Pay attetion to the specs when you choose.
Some will sum all channels to stereo to daw..ex..8in 2out usb stereo to daw.
Some will break out every port to separate channels into daw....ex...12in 12out mutlitrack usb/lighting/firewire to daw.

By Boombude Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:30 am
Thanks for your answers guys!

So, I searched through the internet and tried to find 2 devices, regarding to your advises.

The first one is a classical A-Interface. It's called SPL Creon. I guess it should handle the MPC quality.

Also I found that one:
https://www.session.de/PRESONUS-Studio-1810.html

Do you think, this devices are good enough?

Normally there shouldn't be a problem, routing the MPC Directly to the interface. My turntable for sampling is also routed to the mixer, cause I use it sometimes to remove the lower frequencies etc.. Also shouldn't be a big deal to connect it, right?

Thanks for your help again guys!
By Lampdog Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:02 pm
Boombude wrote:Thanks for your help again guys!

Consider selling your current mixer. DON'T get the SPL. DON'T get the Presonus.

That Tascam Model 16 that CharlesRandolph suggested is cheaper and can handle it all. For now 16 is your best bet imo. If I was looking into a mixer style interface that would be what I'd go with. It's a beast. The Tascam can filter freqs also.