For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By peterpiper Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:46 pm
Damn I don't like troubleshoting :(
Situation is this:
I just set up my MPC2000 and MO drive after I moved in my new flat.
Powered on the MO drive, put a disk in it, powered on the 2000. Everything was fine.
Then after ca 20min. the MO drive sounded a bit differnt than usual but just for a moment.
I entered the disk menu and.... 'SCSI not ready' :evil:
Damn wtf. Ok back to main screen -> eject the disk -> insert again -> disk menu and ..... ok seem to work again.
Loaded another APS, played around for some time entered the disk menu...... 'WAIT.......'

Ok, something is wrong here.

So I dug into my SCSI crate for one of my spare drives. Put it into the SCSI casing and .... read above....
first 15min or so it worked then again errors.

So it's not the drive (or both drives are damaged). But what about the PSU of the SCSI casing? Since I collect spare parts I do have another SSI casing. Tried it with both drives, tried diffent disks, different SCSI cables different SCSI IDs and jumper settings on the second drive, with and without SCSI terminator.

No success.

Ok, so it seem to be the MPC :( Since I swapped the SCSI fuse years ago with a fuse socket I thought that maybe the fuse is loose from moving. So I opened the MPC took the fuse and tested it with a multimeter. The fuse is ok. I thought: Ok what happen when I try it without the fuse?
I was surprized so see the drive still work (kind of). The MPC booted ok (slower than usual) and I was able to enter the disk menu. Loading a program started normal but then 'SCSI read error'

Now I think it's probably a bad solder pin on the SCSI fuse socket that won't work when in use for some time (heat problem maybe).

But before I disassemble the whole MPC I would like to know if some of you have other suggestions.

thanks

peace
By peterpiper Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:35 am
resolered the scsi fuse socket. No success. Can't even format a new disk (SCSI write error)
3 weeks ago before the move, everything was fine. I packed it well and carried it myself. Damn. :(
By peterpiper Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:44 am
:shock: :shock: :shock:

I just turned the drive vertical since I've used it in that position for the last 1 1/2 years (before used it horizontal) and ......formatted the disk fast as hell. will do some tests and report here :)

peace
By peterpiper Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:34 am
It's working ok for the last 20 min. No problems, but I kind of feel like an idiot somehow. Especially after reassembling the MPC and now looking at the ribbon cable of the 8 out board on my desk :Sigh:

Not my day but eff it I laugh at it

:lol: :lol:

peace
By richie Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:39 am
While what I'm going to suggest may not make sense - Try changing the internal SCSI ID of that MO Drive. Just to see if the 2000 initializes the SCSI bus any differently.

Since you swapped the fuse, I believe you'd be fine there.

Also, remove the power from that MO drive and see if the external SCSI port still functions.