For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By Ajax Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:53 pm
Allright, so this would seem to be a very basic question, but for some reason its just not working.... So, hopefully, someone can help me out.

I have the following set-up (at least relevant to this question).

MPC X, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, New Apple Macbook Pro.

My issue isn't with the X. I had a 2500 for years and I know the machine well enough for my purposes, as a standalone machine. Right now, Im just trying to record out of the MPC into a program on my MacBook so I can reduce to .wav/.mp3 and add various FX, etc. Right now, I'm using Adobe Audition.

The main outputs of the X are connected with 1/4 inch cables into the inputs of the Scarlett. The Scarlett is connected via USB into the port on the MacBook (not the headphone port; one of the two ports that can take USB through a converter on the other side of the MacBook).

My headphones are jacked into the Scarlett and I can hear everything playing out of the X just fine.

For some reason, however, Audition is not recognizing the audio coming out of the MPC/Scarlett and into the MacBook. My system preferences on the MacBook show that the selected input source is my Scarlett and the input level is registering the sound coming in.

I assume its an Audition/software issue, but im not sure. Maybe its a MacBook issue?

Anyone else record from an MPC into a MacBook (preferably using Audition) and have any idea? Im sure I just forgot to check a box somewhere, but this is frustrating as hell.

Thanks in advance.
By NearTao Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:39 pm
I've used a Zoom H6 as audio interface for my Mac, into Ableton Live, and have not had a problem.

To help keep my sanity with all the audio inputs and outputs I've been using Rogue Amoeba SoundSource so I can route audio around a bit more freely through a virtual interface. Not sure this is something you'd be looking to do, but it makes for a much more flexible environment that I can path around on the computer without having to figure out all the devices.
By Ajax Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:47 pm
Thanks for the reply.

I was able to finally figure it out. Of all things, it was going into my Systems Preferences on the MacBook and giving Adobe Audition permission to use the internal microphone in the Security & Privacy settings.

Such a ridiculous fix for such an incredibly simple issue.

But, alls well that ends well...