For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.

By Prodeucer Wed Nov 27, 2002 4:11 am
I don't a penny to spare so I can't buy a mixer so I need your help..

I have:
MPC2000XL
PC w/Audiophile2496 SoundCard (using Sonar XL)
(cheap)midi keyboard

1. How do I hook up the MPC to the PC to record to the PC.

2. How do I sync up to the record from the MPC to PC.

I appreciate the help!

By thynctank Wed Dec 04, 2002 12:13 pm
Hey what's up Pro?

You should be fine recording without a mixer, so long as all you're recording is the MPC. It can do output on various levels, and computers normally record at 0dB, which happens to be the default setting on the MPC.

So basically, just plug both of the 1/4" outs from the MPC into your stereo 1/4" ins on your soundcard, and you've got your audio setup. In whatever software (Sonar or your sndvol32 or what have you) you'll be able to adjust the level of incoming audio, pick where it comes from, etc. That info will all be in the manual for the soundcard.

I'm not really familiar with the audiophile, but in order to sync the MPC to computer, you're going to need connect a MIDI cable from MIDI out on your soundcard to the MIDI in on the MPC. Then, go to the MIDI/Sync menu on the MPC (SHIFT + 9) and set Sync In to On.

That's it!

And if your soundcard doesn't have MIDI I/O you can always pickup a little MIDI box like my own MIDIman 2x2. They're usually under 50 bucks and also function as mini patch bays for MIDI routing.

Peace!
 -thynctank[/color]