For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By Terrico Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:24 am
My pc crashed. Now I'm looking to buy a used macbook pro. What macbook pro should I be looking for to work with my mpcX. Does it matter? Will they all do the same job.

Is there a better option then macbook pro
By Danoc Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:42 am
Get your PC fixed. Did the X work well with it?
By Menco Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:05 am
The best you can afford. Especially if you want to use a lot of plugins. 16gb of ram is preferable. 8gb at least a must. Later models don’t come with a lot of storage unless you really drop some cash. But if you don’t mind working off external disks that shouldn’t be problem. I don’t know that much about processors, but for my new MBP I bought in December I went with an i5 dual core I think. It’s not the best processor out there, but I’m not that heavy on plugins or extensive video editing. No problems so far for my. Maybe others can give a better advice on picking processors. Also, check your ports. At some point they got rid of the firewire, thunderbolt port, sd slot and USB A ports. I bought quite an expensive all in one USB C hub and had to let go if my Motu firewire interface. Have to take that in considerarion is well.

Anyway, buy more power then you’re using now, make your computer future proof. It’s better to pay a little bit more now than to buy a new computer again next year because you outgrew it.
By dryad-66 Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:50 am
I’m happily using the 2011-I7 quad core-17” model.I just use the SW and its standing up well.Love the bigger screen space for the fiddly interface.SSD installed.Firewire Motu ultralite.Portable powerhouse for what i need.
By Menco Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:32 am
MPC-Tutor wrote:Is the T2 chip still causing audio issues with USB interfaces?

https://cdm.link/2019/05/apples-latest- ... dio-flaws/

TBH this put me off buying a new Macbook pro, I went with a 2019 iMac as these don't have the T2.

No problems with audio interface here.

Edit for my previous post:
I just checked, processor is 1,4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
By Smackdee Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:12 am
My 2015 quad i7 mbp just got upgraded to 2tb SSD, lol I'll never part with it, got it used a couple years ago for 800 and paid 350 for the ssd, best 1200 dollars I've ever spent, never had a single problem with it ever and never feel like I need more CPU power, great laptop indeed...