For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By 6/8 Stanley Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:42 am
Just a heads-up. To save time I turned it off a by unplugging the power supply. Turned it into a useless bozo. Never do that. In the dank archives of quadraverb-ology I found out that the unit only saves the user presets if you turn it off with the on/off button. By holding "program" and "bypass" while pressing the power button it resets. It came back to life. So I was happy for a minute. Then I saw all the amazing custom presets that previous owner (who must have been an expert with it) had in there are gone. Damn. Now I need to study the difficult manual and figure it out how to make my own programs.
By richie Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:23 pm
6/8 Stanley wrote: Damn. Now I need to study the difficult manual and figure it out how to make my own programs.

Learn about sysex and you can backup, restore and even download presets online from the other Quadraverb series units.
By 6/8 Stanley Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:29 am
Thank you. I just spent a half hour reading about "sysex and quadraverb". Obviously a half hour isn't nearly enough to know how use it but it's interesting. Wonder if it could also turn the old Yamaha RY10 I never use into something I don't hate. It has a midi-in so maybe. I was about to toss it.

I can probably find some OK presets in the QV for now. Last night played mic'd acoustic guitar a couple hours through the QV. I was bit too wasted to do any menu diving so left it on the first setting that came on. Way too much reverb with tinny tails. Didn't sound great, but beer and pot eased the pain.
By peterpiper Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:35 am
Out of interest in the SysEx (and general) capabilities of the Quadraverb I just searched for it and found this.

Touch sensitive (multi-speed!) programming buttons. Many have integral LED so you know what mode you're in. If you press harder you move the parameter faster.

:shock:
I'm impressed :)

@6/8 : SysEx Dumps are relatively easy to create. You can either use a specific software (but I think many of them require Win98 or so :)) or your DAW.
It's simply recording a datastream into a MIDI-Track of the DAW. I've done that back in the 90s with the digital mixer Promix 01 and Cubase Atari and it worked very well. If you have questions.......

6/8 Stanley wrote:Wonder if it could also turn the old Yamaha RY10 I never use into something I don't hate. It has a midi-in so maybe. I was about to toss it.

unfortunately the RY10 doesn't have any SysEx implementation (SysEx need MIDI IN & MIDI OUT). So don't waste your time on that.

peace
By richie Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:42 pm
6/8 Stanley wrote:Obviously a half hour isn't nearly enough to know how use it but it's interesting.

In the actual Quadraverb manual, it'll show you what to press to get into sysex mode.

Then all you'd do is use a free program like midi ox to send and receive sysex data to whatever sysex capable unit you have.

If you want to really get interesting, you could use a program like Emagic Sound Diver to edit all the presets on your workstation and then send them over as you please.
By 6/8 Stanley Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:27 am
From reading Reaper forum it looks like Sysex can be dropped on a MIDI track in Reaper and exported to QV or other gear, if you know what you're doing, in most cases. Need to look for a different interface that does MIDI though.

Thanks for the good ideas. I'd heard of Sysex but had no idea what it was.
By richie Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:19 am
6/8 Stanley wrote:From reading Reaper forum it looks like Sysex can be dropped on a MIDI track in Reaper and exported to QV or other gear, if you know what you're doing, in most cases. Need to look for a different interface that does MIDI though.

Thanks for the good ideas. I'd heard of Sysex but had no idea what it was.

Yes you're correct, it can be dropped on a midi track. You may need to fiddle with the playback timing on it as older gear can get overloaded when sending sysex data too quick.
By Komatos Records Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:34 am
6/8 Stanley wrote:Thanks for the good ideas. I'd heard of Sysex but had no idea what it was.

SysEx is just shorthand for System Exclusive. MIDI messages exclusive to that piece of gear. Many late 80s-early 2000s gear used it as a way to do bulk dump of patch settings, sample data, etc.

I used to have a Yamaha RY20 drum machine from 1994 that could do bulk dumps of its internal patch settings and user created patterns via SysEx.

And shortly after in 1996 I bought a Yamaha SU10 4 track phrase sampler/sequencer. It could store approximately 50 seconds of samples in its internal flash memory. If you wanted to backup the internal samples or restore them to the SU10 you had to use MSDS (MIDI Sample Dump Standard), a painfully slow SysEx sample dump.