For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By Devontodetroit Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:32 am
Morning everyone, This is quite an esoteric question so I thought there would be nowhere better than this board to ask....

I'm running windows 10 on a virtual machine (Virtualbox) on OSX, It works fine so far and I have managed to install and run Akai.sys.. But here comes the problem

My midi is handled by a MOTU 828mk2 installed on the OSX system, As far as I know it isnt able to be used by the virtual machine windows system, Does anyone have a clue how I could send midi out from the virtual machine?

I want to be able to upload samples to my s2800 with midi so I wanted to try Akai.sys and Recycle but its not worth buying an old machine to exclusivly run windows on.

Any help would be appreciated!

(PS, Anyone got a copy of recycle 2.2 for win they could email me?
By NearTao Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:57 am
You should be able to mount any USB devices inside the VM, you just need to find the option to do it. In Parallels you can tell it to grab any USB device, I am just not sure how to do it in Virtualbox.
By richie Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:36 pm
As long as the S2800 is running 2.0, recycle will handle it as an S3000.

You may have conflicts trying to map the midi out on the 828 in a virtual machine. You'd be better suited buying a $10 usb midi adapter and then using that within the vm.
By Devontodetroit Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:40 pm
I've learnt alot in the past couple of days about this all, Its driving me insane actually.. I dont have a SCSI card for my 2800 which might have made this easier?

Luckily I do have a cheapy USB midi device I can use which I have got working, Charlesrandolph I think you are right mate.. I dont think Akai.sys will work with the 2800

I've also found out that only recycle 2.0 can send files via SDE midi to the 2800, So I'm having problems finding that software.... I even tried Sheepshaver to emulate Max OS 9, Dont ask!

I have ALSO tried a program from Elektron, called C6 which is for transfering files to their machines like Analogrythm and Octatrack but works for the Akai samplers too with SDE transfer, I managed to get the file to transfer but it wouldnt appear on the machine in the programs because it wasnt akai format (sigh)

How can I run recycle these days guys? I just wanna chop and make keygroups and upload to my sampler?
By richie Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:16 am
Devontodetroit wrote:I've learnt alot in the past couple of days about this all, Its driving me insane actually.. I dont have a SCSI card for my 2800 which might have made this easier?

Luckily I do have a cheapy USB midi device I can use which I have got working, Charlesrandolph I think you are right mate.. I dont think Akai.sys will work with the 2800

I've also found out that only recycle 2.0 can send files via SDE midi to the 2800, So I'm having problems finding that software.... I even tried Sheepshaver to emulate Max OS 9, Dont ask!

I have ALSO tried a program from Elektron, called C6 which is for transfering files to their machines like Analogrythm and Octatrack but works for the Akai samplers too with SDE transfer, I managed to get the file to transfer but it wouldnt appear on the machine in the programs because it wasnt akai format (sigh)

How can I run recycle these days guys? I just wanna chop and make keygroups and upload to my sampler?

Like I said, the S2800 will look the same as an S3000 when they are running OS 2.0. They're the exact same OS and the same ROM chips that work in a S3000 and S3200 will work in an S2800. So compatibility issues with Akai.sys and the S2800 are irrelevant. I could even add my S1000 / S2800, etc to the S3000 profile and chop a file and it'll send with the predefined key groups already.

I have two ways to do this. 1- I have a workstation with a SCSI card in it running windows xp. 2- use a usb to scsi adapter but those will run you about $150-250 depending on whomever is selling it.

I do not believe this is possible over midi sample dump. I've used C6 and other utils, it's slow. It's easier for me to create a key group for my one shots that will auto load, and then sample in the one shots over the analog in and assign them. It is a very quick process.
By Komatos Records Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:57 am
Instead of using VirtualBox and adding an extra layer of complexity trying to get it to talk to your gear through a virtual machine, how about trying this:

Since you have a Mac running OS X, use Boot Camp to setup a 25-50 GB partition and install Windows 7 or Windows 10 in the Boot Camp partition. Then when you want to use ReCycle, ReBirth or other 20+ year old software you just boot directly into Windows on your Mac and assuming you have drivers for your MIDI interface, etc. it should just work. Because you’re directly running Windows on the hardware.

I used to use Boot Camp back in the day to run ReCycle and ReBirth in Windows 7. Then tried testing out 10 on my Mac Mini when it first came out. I’ve since deleted my Boot Camp partition and reclaimed the space for OS X (when I installed a 1 TB SSD last summer). Now I run Windows XP in VirtualBox and have ReBirth (but not ReCycle) running on it. You can mount USB drives and CD/DVD discs through VirtualBox, since my ReBirth version requires the actual disc when I start it up for authorization purposes.