For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By cleansocks Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:58 am
Hi,

I been making stuff on the MPC and I got some cash saved now is the time 2 get a Multi Track so I can mix and master this shit down in my PC.

Question is, which one do i get? I been looking at Presonus Studio AR12, Zoom Livetrak 12 and Soundcraft Signature 12 MTK, but I notice some of them have a bunch of Line inputs and maybe 2 Mono inputs. Would this make a difference when tracking out? My MPC 4k has 8 outs so its 1/2 , 3/4 , 5/6 , 7/8 So I am guessing I need 2 plug these outputs into a Mono input.

What would happen if I got a splitter / connector so I could plug in the 1/2 Pair and plug it into a Line In port? would it make a difference than if I outputted the pairing to a L/R mono input?

By CharlesRandolph Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:28 am
cleansocks wrote:Hi,

I been making stuff on the MPC and I got some cash saved now is the time 2 get a Multi Track so I can mix and master this shit down in my PC.

Question is, which one do i get? I been looking at Presonus Studio AR12, Zoom Livetrak 12 and Soundcraft Signature 12 MTK, but I notice some of them have a bunch of Line inputs and maybe 2 Mono inputs. Would this make a difference when tracking out? My MPC 4k has 8 outs so its 1/2 , 3/4 , 5/6 , 7/8 So I am guessing I need 2 plug these outputs into a Mono input.

What would happen if I got a splitter / connector so I could plug in the 1/2 Pair and plug it into a Line In port? would it make a difference than if I outputted the pairing to a L/R mono input?

The 4k has 10 outs: L/R 1/2 3/4 5/6 7/8. Also look into the TASCAM Model 12 Mixer, it works as a 12-in/10-out USB audio interface. Price new: $499.99
By cleansocks Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:26 am
CharlesRandolph wrote:
cleansocks wrote:Hi,

I been making stuff on the MPC and I got some cash saved now is the time 2 get a Multi Track so I can mix and master this **** down in my PC.

The 4k has 10 outs: L/R 1/2 3/4 5/6 7/8. Also look into the TASCAM Model 12 Mixer, it works as a 12-in/10-out USB audio interface. Price new: $499.99

ah yes the Tascam I left out but it is quite sexy and I was thinking about it for some time, before I had the means to think about a 500 dollar mixer. That being said my question still remains...

For example in the Tascam Inputs, what difference would it make routing the MPC 1/2 , 3/4 , 5/6 , 7/8 pairs To the Tascam's 7/8 or 9/10 make vs routing the MPC pairs to the Tascam's inputs 1-6? I notice they all say Line / Mic balanced but 2 of the inputs have a pairing thing going on. Would I notice a difference in the DAW or sound wise if I plugged in the MPC 4000 outputs to the L/R inputs vs the Single line inputs?
By cleansocks Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:27 am
I guess I should have said 4 of the inputs have a pairing thing going on... discounted the first two. Not sure what Insert does anyway,, but I specifically mean the L/R inputs on the Tascam.
By peterpiper Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:19 pm
cleansocks wrote:
For example in the Tascam Inputs, what difference would it make routing the MPC 1/2 , 3/4 , 5/6 , 7/8 pairs To the Tascam's 7/8 or 9/10 make vs routing the MPC pairs to the Tascam's inputs 1-6? I notice they all say Line / Mic balanced but 2 of the inputs have a pairing thing going on. Would I notice a difference in the DAW or sound wise if I plugged in the MPC 4000 outputs to the L/R inputs vs the Single line inputs?

As always: It depends :) on your workflow, the samples (mono or stereo).

Tascams 1-6 are mono channels. 7/8 and 9/10 can be used as mono channel OR stereo channel.
I mostly use mono samples so my configuration would be MPC out 1-6 to Tascam input 1-6 and MPC out 7 and 8 to the Tascam stereo input 7/8. Tascam input 9/10 would be connected to my DJ Mixer.
If I use more than 1 stereosample I still could use for example Tascam channels 5 and 6 but I would need to pan them to L and R and use the same settings on the fader/EQ etc. Other than that it doesn't matter what input you use. Many other mixers use differnt EQs (only Hi & Low for example) on stereo channels but thats not the case with this Tascam.

The inserts on 1 & 2 are for outboard FX. If you don't have any other outboard FX you don't need these insert points.

peace

EDIT: can you route the metronome of the MPC to any output channel? if not you need to connect the Main L/R outs to the mixer too (at least one of them. L or R) or.......you can connect a Bluetooth transmitter to the MPC Main out and use channel 9/10 on the tascam in bluetooth mode when recording a sequence on the MPC.

EDIT2: I just looked at the other mixers you you mentioned. IMO forget about the Zoom and the Presonus. The Soundcraft seem to be ok and so does the Tascam although keep in mind that it is alwqays good to have at least 2 input channels as spare. There are many situations you just need another channel and you don't want to switch cables everytime that happens. So I recommend the Tascam Model16 well actually I recommend the Model24 (or the Soundcraft 22 channel version) but .... yeah the price... :)
If the Soundcraft Signature 16 were available as MTK (multitrack) then this would be my first choice.
Last edited by peterpiper on Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By CharlesRandolph Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:29 pm
cleansocks wrote:
ah yes the Tascam I left out but it is quite sexy and I was thinking about it for some time, before I had the means to think about a 500 dollar mixer. That being said my question still remains...

No, the only difference is if you want to maintain a stereo signal for that particular sound source. The other good parts about that Tascam is the MIDI in and out, also when used as an audio interface, it has some control surface functions.
the Pans, Faders, Transports, Volume, and fader banks.
By 6/8 Stanley Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:11 pm
I like Soundcraft but from reading their forum a few months ago people were still having trouble with the win10 drivers for their various USB mixers.
By CharlesRandolph Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:13 pm
6/8 Stanley wrote:I like Soundcraft but from reading their forum a few months ago people were still having trouble with the win10 drivers for their various USB mixers.

The issue is the Soundcraft isn't a multi tracker.
By cleansocks Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:35 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:
6/8 Stanley wrote:I like Soundcraft but from reading their forum a few months ago people were still having trouble with the win10 drivers for their various USB mixers.

The issue is the Soundcraft isn't a multi tracker.

The Soundcraft 12 MTK is a multi track, The Signature 12 no MTK is the one that is not multitrack...

Anyways I was thinking, since insert can be used as an input or output, should I hook my SP 404 up to a tascam using the insert or the AUX out?

I want to hook my turntable and SP 404 directly in and route it back to the sp so I Can sample into the Mpc 4000 without having to turn the SP 404 on as well (right now it's patched so turntable goes into Sp 404, Sp 404 outputs to MPC), so while I wouldn't need the aux / sub / inserts for vinyl, I would need them for the MPC and SP to resample back into.

and then tha line inputs are for tracking the programs out to a DAW from my MPC..
By cleansocks Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:36 pm
I want to also know why you discounted the zoom and presonus. Curious for your reasoning... they are all multi trackers so maybe there is a difference in sound quality or something I haven't picked up on?
By CharlesRandolph Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:02 am
cleansocks wrote:
The Soundcraft 12 MTK is a multi track, The Signature 12 no MTK is the one that is not multitrack...

Anyways I was thinking, since insert can be used as an input or output, should I hook my SP 404 up to a tascam using the insert or the AUX out?

I want to hook my turntable and SP 404 directly in and route it back to the sp so I Can sample into the Mpc 4000 without having to turn the SP 404 on as well (right now it's patched so turntable goes into Sp 404, Sp 404 outputs to MPC), so while I wouldn't need the aux / sub / inserts for vinyl, I would need them for the MPC and SP to resample back into.

and then tha line inputs are for tracking the programs out to a DAW from my MPC..

They say multi track but it's really multi channel audio interface because you can't actually record directly to the mixer. The Tascam, you can put an sd card into the mixer and record your audio directly to the card, without connecting it to computer. You can play it back and edit the audio on there as well.

Look at the other thread in the MPC 4000 sections. I remembered we talked about this before, all the info is there.